• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Gaziano & Girling models are you ordering at the trunk show?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Party pooper.
sly.gif

I am going to say this and duck: I think there is better to be had at better prices elsewhere.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am going to say this and duck:

I think there is better to be had at better prices elsewhere.

Hard to say without having seen them in person but given that they are in the Vass price range, a case could certainly be made simply by that alone.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Hard to say without having seen them in person but given that they are in the Vass price range, a case could certainly be made simply by that alone.
I was just thinking about the bespoke shoes, but you do have a point there as well. Especially at the prices that Vass fetch when not sold at bergdorf
devil.gif

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no reason to "duck" really, as its all a matter of personal preference. There's enough room for GG, Lobb, Latanzi, EG, Vass, Santoni, et al. There simply is no right or wrong; just personal preference.

It just happens that this thread concerns a particular house, around the time of its maiden debut. In addition to loving the product, I want to be part of the launch, to be able to say in the future, "I was there at the beginning.". No need to hate on those of us whob feel that way just because someone prefers another maker.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
There's no reason to "duck" really, as its all a matter of personal preference. There's enough room for GG, Lobb, Latanzi, EG, Vass, Santoni, et al. There simply is no right or wrong; just personal preference. It just happens that this thread concerns a particular house, around the time of its maiden debut. In addition to loving the product, I want to be part of the launch, to be able to say in the future, "I was there at the beginning.". No need to hate on those of us whob feel that way just because someone prefers another maker.
I hear you, and I do think the styles look nice. I just don't really see how they are very different than other English shoe brands. I don't necessarily prefer another maker, I just feel that English bespoke shoes are very pricey when compared to bespoke in Italy. It really comes down to a matter of opinion. I am sure that you will get fantastic shoes, they just don't tickle my fancy. However, if you need my help selecting, I will only be a few blocks away from the Huntington
wink.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering placing a bespoke order and possiblyt a MTO order. iammatt is probably right in that more finely constructed shoes could be had for less, yet the aesthetics as well as the fit, if not going bespoke, would likely be poles apart. Logistics is also an issue; GG visit the States. I'd love to hear of any reputable Italian maker that does the same (I am aware of Lattanzi). The catalogue pics don't do much for me, but pictures of actual samples posted a week or so earlier were sufficiently enticing for a look-see.

It seems that there was an assumption that some posters would be ordering MTO GG shoes without trying them on or seeing them in person. I trust no one here is that moronic. Especially since the titular question was directed at people attending the trunk show.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iammatt,

Recognizing the validity of your point, what was your motivation in expressing it in this particular thread? -- to be purposefully provocative or to try and discourage those who are interested in GG shoes? or to try and save them from themselves?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I'd love to hear of any reputable Italian maker that does the same (I am aware of Lattanzi).

Paolo Scafora comes to NYC several times per year with his next visit being in two weks...samples of his bespoke work below which is virtually all handmade:

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made an appt. at their Dallas show. I'm considering the Hughes in vintage oak or vintage cognac and /or the Astair
as shown on the web site. This will be my first look at even contemplating shoes in this price range. I want to see and try them in person. Any tips from those more experienced with this trunk show process would be appreciated.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Iammatt,

Recognizing the validity of your point, what was your motivation in expressing it in this particular thread? -- to be purposefully provocative or to try and discourage those who are interested in GG shoes? or to try and save them from themselves?

Just to discuss.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't argue with honesty.

Those Scaforas are hot; anyone know how much they run?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't argue with honesty. Those Scaforas are hot; anyone know how much they run?
Somewhere around 1.8k bespoke. I just picked up a pair of RTW for around Eu750 in Naples last week. They are all handmade. I do have to admit that the rainbow shoe is not really to my liking.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Scaforas are a breath of fresh air. Now to think of a design...

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I made an appt. at their Dallas show. I'm considering the Hughes in vintage oak or vintage cognac and /or the Astair
as shown on the web site. This will be my first look at even contemplating shoes in this price range. I want to see and try them in person. Any tips from those more experienced with this trunk show process would be appreciated.

Mine too; and I'm also interested from hearing from someone who's already had the experience (oh, wait: SF is the first stop on the U.S. tour and I'm on the first day. Maybe I'll be the one providing the update).

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Somewhere around 1.8k bespoke. I just picked up a pair of RTW for around Eu750 in Naples last week. They are all handmade.

I do have to admit that the rainbow shoe is not really to my liking.

Really like the split toe and the black perforated cap toe; niiiiiiiiiiiiiice! (but still not as nice as:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics