1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Gaziano & Girling models are you ordering at the trunk show?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artisan Fan, Sep 29, 2006.

1. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Are you guys worried that, with a new company such as this, he will be inundated with orders and may have turnaround problems. (See, e.g., Darren Beaman)?

You can divide this question into two parts, one regarding the RTW shoes and one regarding the bespoke shoes. Tony knows how many pairs of bespoke shoes he can produce in a year while using only the outworkers he is comfortable with (between 100 and 150 pairs). I seriously doubt that the demand for bespoke shoes will rise above that level; and if it does, I doubt that Tony will take more orders than he can fulfill. He is aware of the potential problem, and I believe that he is committed to avoid the trap. Regarding GG's capacity to turn out RTW shoes, that's dependent on the capacity of the production line at the factory that they've partnered with. I would hope that they're very well aware of what this capacity is. In any event, despite all the chatter on the forums, you have to realize that the orders that will come from us this fall are relatively small in number -- maybe a couple hundred pairs. That shouldn't present any problem at all for a Northampton factory, even if the shoes are all one-offs and require significant amounts of hand-finishing.

2. mussel

mussel Senior Member

So which factory is making G&G RTW?

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

So which factory is making G&G RTW?
    Carefully kept secret. Usually such secrets are hard to keep. So far, Tony has been the exception.

4. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

You can divide this question into two parts, one regarding the RTW shoes and one regarding the bespoke shoes. Tony knows how many pairs of bespoke shoes he can produce in a year while using only the outworkers he is comfortable with (between 100 and 150 pairs). I seriously doubt that the demand for bespoke shoes will rise above that level; and if it does, I doubt that Tony will take more orders than he can fulfill. He is aware of the potential problem, and I believe that he is committed to avoid the trap. Regarding GG's capacity to turn out RTW shoes, that's dependent on the capacity of the production line at the factory that they've partnered with. I would hope that they're very well aware of what this capacity is. In any event, despite all the chatter on the forums, you have to realize that the orders that will come from us this fall are relatively small in number -- maybe a couple hundred pairs. That shouldn't present any problem at all for a Northampton factory, even if the shoes are all one-offs and require significant amounts of hand-finishing.
    However, won't the finishing be done by G&G in-house? Jcusey, could you tell us what you understand of the overall process for MTO? My understanding was that the shoes would be made--up to the finishing part--by the contracted factory, with the finishing being done entirely by G&G and their employees. If this is the case, a flood of orders could, indeed, result in delays, could it not?

5. LARon

LARon Distinguished Member

I, For one, have never let fear or doubt impede my judgment or decisions. I've decided that I like and want the shoes; and since I can't get them anywhere else, I'm going to the source -- confident and unfearful about tomorrow. In a word, I'm takin' it to the hole!

6. LARon

Handwringers stand aside, let the playas thru.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Laron, i would pay anything to own that burgundy plain toe with medallion. one of the most beautiful shoes in the world.

8. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Just 1540 pounds...

9. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I'm sitting this one out. Too many other irons in the fire.

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I get the sense that Tony's venture is well capitalized but it's just a guess based on what I have seen. Maybe it is colored by my love of the designs in the catalog.

11. Artisan Fan

Classic. [​IMG] Amen, bro.

Is it possible EG is supporting this venture on the MTO manufacturing side? They seemed to part ways awefully on very friendly terms...maybe they got a manufacturing deal from it...?

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

In a word, I'm takin' it to the hole!

Isn't that six words?

13. LARon

Isn't that six words?

[​IMG] touche

14. LARon

Laron, i would pay anything to own that burgundy plain toe with medallion. one of the most beautiful shoes in the world.

Actually, since they offer a RTW version, the true price is far less than "anything"; its only 450 pounds sterling.

15. Artisan Fan

Which is just under $900...not bad if at or above Edward Green in quality.