• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What films have you been watching?

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a film thread of this nature, and I'm a big film fan, especially sci fi, horror and indie films generally.

My last 3 films were Hunger - extremely well made, but very strong stuff.

The Girl with the dragon tattoo - one of the best thrillers I have seen in a long time. Noomi Rapace is superb, as is the script.

Kick Ass - literally one of the best films I have seen in a long time. The wit of Zombieland, with action to rival The Matrix, administered by an 11 year old, foul mouthed girl. It is film genius.

Dr. Mabuse

Reaction score
Last 3:

Diary of a Country Priest (one of the greatest, 7th or 8th watching, never gets old)
Summer Hours (Even better than Demonlover, same director,highly recommended)
King of Kings (the Demille silent version. up there with Pasolini's Gospel as best Jesus film)

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been watching movies as much as I used to... Damn Lost episodes on hulu...

Last couple movies:

The Thomas Crowne Affair- Watched this after seeing so much buzz on the blogosphere. I had always wanted to see it, but this gave me the inspiration to actually sit down and watch it. It was a really good film and just as stylish as all the blogs say. The cinematography was breathtaking and a bit surprising considering when the film was made.

8 1/2- Started watching this but turned it off halfway through. It was late at night and I didn't feel like watching something so deep. To be honest, I don't quite understand all they hype, at least not yet.

What I plan on watching soon:

American Hardcore- A documentary I should have watched a long time ago.

The Machine Girl- I hope this will be as weird as I expect it to be.

Kick Ass- Read the comic and I hope the movie version is even better.

Hot Tub Time Machine- I hope this is as dumb as I expect it to be.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw Hot Tub Time Machine and was expecting it to suck ass but it was probably one of the funiest movies to come out in a while.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fantastic mr. fox (good)
training your dragon (so-so)

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
training your dragon (so-so)

Overall I thought it was a good kids movie, dialogue and story probably wont impress adults too much (I imagine kids loving it), but the use of 3D was the best I've seen in a movie.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Overall I thought it was a good kids movie, dialogue and story probably wont impress adults too much (I imagine kids loving it), but the use of 3D was the best I've seen in a movie.

of course we had to attend a non-3D showing....
frown.gif

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
of course we had to attend a non-3D showing....
frown.gif

Fantastic Mr Fox was a great film, and quintessentially Wes Anderson! I loved the look of the film, the clothes, and the usual story board look, and pondering characters. It was also pretty funny!

Why did you go to the non 3D? Does a relative get vertigo like some get from 3D?

Dr Mabuse -

Some quality films there!

Diary of a Country Priest
88% on RT - Souls in crisis which have influenced a huge number of subsequent films, direct echoes in Scorsese’s Taxi Driver

I think I will rent this, especially for its future influences.

Anti - Hero:

8 1/2 sounds superb from the RT review. I'm not up to speed on classic cinema, though I am aware of Fellini and The Dolce Vita - from reading about the superlative clothing therein!

I like the sound of this film, I like existential.

I shall add both to my Lovefilm (online dvd rental) film list.

Has anyone seen The Girlfriend Experience? Perhaps a bit gimmicky, I may download this on Friday.

Forthcoming dvds for me -

The Romero original of The Crazies ( the re make is excellent)

Dr. Mabuse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
?

Dr Mabuse -

Some quality films there!

Diary of a Country Priest
88% on RT - Souls in crisis which have influenced a huge number of subsequent films, direct echoes in Scorsese’s Taxi Driver

I think I will rent this, especially for its future influences.

If you end up enjoying Country Priest (I had never thought of the Taxi Driver comparison but both are definitely films where the main character's isolation is palpable), be sure to check out Bresson's other films. For me it's Tarkovsky ,Bresson , John Ford, Fritz Lang, Murnau and then everyone else ( Bergman, Altman, Malick, Cronenberg, Hitchcock, Ozu ,etc.)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two Lovers was pretty good.

AFG34

Reaction score
Alfie [2004] - was entertaining
RocknRolla [2008] - some really hilarious moments; the guy who plays Johny Quids is amazing

billsayers

Reaction score
The last three films I saw were:

Hot Tub Time Machine - went in with very low expectations and thoroughly enjoyed it
Moon - great sci-fi film, definitely a mood piece but very well executed
Fantastic Mr. Fox - big Wes Anderson fan and this movie delivered the goods

nicad2000

Reaction score
Just got Cat on a Hot Tin Roof from Netflix this past weekend - I highly recommend it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads