What films have you been watching?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by TheDarkKnight, Apr 6, 2010.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

Mr Fox - Kind of funny

The Runaways - A fairly interesting movie which could have been much better.

2. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

RocknRolla [2008] - some really hilarious moments; the guy who plays Johny Quids is amazing

Some British guy recommended this movie last weekend. I'll have to give it a shot.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Saw this the other night. Italian low budget film. Pretty respectable.

[​IMG]

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

wanna watch zombieland.

but recently i watched

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a fan of wong kar wai so far, but fallen angels is next up on my list. i like the visuals, but maybe i'm too much of a philistine. the story doesnt make much sense to me. the characters unlikeable.

also want to watch a single spark and last life in the universe

5. mono no aware

mono no aware New Member

Sat down and watched Man on Wire through Netflix last night. Dunno how they managed to make a documentary about a tightrope walker so enthralling, but I'll be damned if they didn't pull it off.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

\\
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a fan of wong kar wai so far, but fallen angels is next up on my list. i like the visuals, but maybe i'm too much of a philistine. the story doesnt make much sense to me. the characters unlikeable.

I heard Blueberry sucked. I really liked Chungking Express though. Or at least the second story. The first was kind of blah. But the second one I REALLY loved.

I also loved 2046, but was tepid on In the Mood for Love, which nearly everyone else seems to have a hard-on for. Go figure.

I saw Crazy Heart on the plane today and even though it was enjoyable, it was a bit too formulaic. The "character" was less deep and believable to me than what I heard it compared to (The Wrestler). It was just to easy for Bad Blake to rectify his ways and redeem himself in the movie, in my humble opinion. That was an unrealistic feel-good twist.

7. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Some British guy recommended this movie last weekend. I'll have to give it a shot.

I thought Rocknrolla was garbage, to be honest. Did not entertain nearly as much as Lock Stock or Snatch. Maybe it was just me, since I was drowsy and watching it on an iPhone on a plane last year. But I really don't think that was it.

However, Thandie Newton looked delicious in it as usual.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It just seemed to me that a lot of people really enjoyed his films and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I guess I'll have to dig deeper.

Blueberry nights was very beautiful visually, but I felt the film was kind of soulless. It was like beauty for beauty's sake. Bland, insipid characters, dialogue that seemed beautiful, cute. The film was almost impressionistic.

I don't know if the slow mo, low frame rate shot is his signature shot. I kind of like it, but I kind of don't.

9. chas

chas Senior member

[​IMG]

Liked it more thinking about it the next day.

10. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

There are some film buffs here for sure, I knew it!

I found the review of Hump Day very funny and intriguing. Duly added to my film list.

It reminds me of the mad excellence of Lars and the Real Doll which I watched a long time ago.

Last night I watched The Changeling. I found it disappointing though, and the acting was poor by a number of characters. I wouldn't particularly recommend it

11. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

thoughts on Valhalla rising? should I watch it or no?

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

has anybody seen entre les murs?

i don't understand the last two shots of the overturned chairs of the class reps. is it an act of defiance? are they resigning from their position?

anyways. i thought it was brilliant. very similar in feel to the fourth season of the wire.

13. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

I'm a film nut.

Last 3:

'The Forest'- campy "˜80s cannibal horror
    Fuller's 'Street of No Return'- underrated but scattered gem.
    'Hail the Conquering Hero'- brilliant Sturges.

Diary of a Country Priest
    88% on RT - Souls in crisis which have influenced a huge number of subsequent films, direct echoes in Scorsese's Taxi Driver

I think I will rent this, especially for its future influences.

The final scene in his '...Balthazar' is one of the most mesmerizing things that I have ever seen on film. I cannot forget it.

For me it's Tarkovsky ,Bresson , John Ford, Fritz Lang, Murnau and then everyone else ( Bergman, Altman, Malick, Cronenberg, Hitchcock, Ozu ,etc.)

Kurosawa.

14. TheDarkKnight

I'm a film nut.

The final scene in his '...Balthazar' is one of the most mesmerizing things that I have ever seen on film. I cannot forget it.

Kurosawa.

RT "Often praised as one of the greatest films ever made" - added to my rental list!

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/balthazar/

15. TheDarkKnight

wanna watch zombieland.

Probably the best cameo ever. Zombieland is superb.