• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What family heirlooms do you have?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant think of many I have, but here are a few:

-My great great grandfather's wooden peg leg. He got his leg shot off fighting valiantly in the war of northern aggression. It was amputated at the knee. It's in storage now, but I would like to have it displayed in my living room. I think it would make a great conversation piece.

-Herpes simplex virus type 1. (NOTE: Just cold sores) I've had this for as long as I can remember. Same story with my father, and my grandfather. The above great great grandfather once wrote a letter to a friend where we think he hints about heiring a prostitute. Sometimes I like to think this came from a civil war prostitute.

-Cast Iron skillet. Belonged to my great grandmother. I just came in possession of it.

-My father's Rolex. I dont have this yet, but when I was a kid I would admire it and ask him about it. I remember when I was about 3 he told me I could have it when he died. As a little kid, that always made me feel important. When it is mine, I have no doubt it will be my favorite.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
-My father's Rolex. I dont have this yet, but when I was a kid I would admire it and ask him about it. I remember when I was about 3 he told me I could have it when he died. As a little kid, that always made me feel important. When it is mine, I have no doubt it will be my favorite.

Yep, I wear my grandfathers Rolex every single day with very few deviations. I did the same as you when I was a kid, and it is extremely important to me.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the war of northern aggression? really?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandfather's mother of pearl cufflinks, his shotguns, captured Walther pistol and Hitler Youth knife; grandmother's crucifix and Austrian prayer book from the 1890's; great grandfather's Iron Cross and photo from the First World War.

My mother's side of the family has been in North America for centuries; my father's side left Germany in the 1930's. Curiously, the knife which my maternal grandfather captured during the war is identical to one my paternal grandfather said he threw overboard during the trip to the United States.

Most of our furniture is inherited, also.

stamp0102

Reaction score
grandfathers gold nugget cufflinks, gold tiffany money clip, mont blanc pen, his colt 1903 pocket auto, and most importantly, his genes.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any family heirlooms.
redface.gif
You guys are pretty lucky to have things passed down to you.

Mountains

Reaction score
I was under the impression that HSV-1 is not hereditary.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None. That being said, I'd like to inherit my dad's pool table. We've spent hours (days?) playing and it would serve as a nice reminder of the good times we had.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grandpa's Patek Philippe. He first got it as a dirt-poor Limerick immigrant from his dirty rich mobster cousin (who routinely wore two 3 carat diamond rings) and passed it to me. He fell into financial troubles in his final two years...my ubcle told me he almost sold it but said, "This is for Michaeleen (my nickname), I can't do it." He was a freaking saint.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a black and white cameo ring that my mom got at a bazaar in the 60s and then passed down to me. It's incredibly cool.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mountains
I was under the impression that HSV-1 is not hereditary.

Its not, but was most likely transfered in one way or another.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Our house burned when I was in high school and it was a total loss, so we dont even have most of our family/baby pictures or anything. My grandmothers had both been ill shortly before then, had moved to small apartments/care facilities, and so had most of their stuff as well stored in our attic or in the basement.

Geez, sorry to bum out this thread.
frown.gif
Anyway, like others said, be very thankful for what you have!

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Grandpa's Patek Philippe. He first got it as a dirt-poor Limerick immigrant from his dirty rich mobster cousin (who routinely wore two 3 carat diamond rings) and passed it to me. He fell into financial troubles in his final two years...my ubcle told me he almost sold it but said, "This is for Michaeleen (my nickname), I can't do it." He was a freaking saint.

But you'd rather have his pinky ring, right?
smile.gif

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grand fathers 18k gold dunhill rollergas, 18k gold cartier ball point and a stainless steel rolex manual wind date just.

18th&High

Reaction score
I have my grandfather's jacket from when he served in the US Air Force in WWII. It's practically unwearable for me--unless I layered ten sweaters underneath to fill it out--but I still like wearing it around every so often. If my closet was on fire, it'd be the only thing I'd need to take.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads