• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What fabric for cream/off white odd trousers?

EddieK

Reaction score
I would like to get an odd pair. What fabric is best with this colour trouser?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a wide temperature range. I’d say cotton would be a good place to start.

I’ve wanted a pair of off white/cream wool flannel to wear in the cooler months. Of course, that wouldn’t do well in the summer but something to consider.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve wanted a pair of off white/cream wool flannel to wear in the cooler months. Of course, that wouldn’t do well in the summer but something to consider.
My favorite pair of trousers.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on temperature extremes, a tropical wool is a good compromise.
Here in the Bay Area of CA it seldom gets very hot or cold. I can wear some
dress slacks all year round.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corduroy

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Uniqlo have "ankle length" corduroy trousers as a decent price right now. Havent worn cords for many many moons and I thought they might be a good jumping-in point . They are slim as well which tend to suit my shape.

BUT ... Ankle-length ... Aren't all trousers, ideally , ankle-length? What does this mean when a trouser is specifically marketed as such?
If it means , as I suspect , that they are very slightly cropped so to end above the top of the shoe, rather than touching ... Could I simply buy a slightly longer leg than I usually do, and wear them as a regular trouser?
Lol edit ... Just reminded myself of the title of this thread and realised my reply is hugely off topic. Sorry.

I actually came in to say that I, too, have been looking around for a pair of off-white flannel trousers , and does anyone have recommendations?

EddieK

Reaction score
I like these two fabrics (from Spier Mackay MTO). What seasons are they both suited for?
Cream corduroy.png
Cream irish linen.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it were me, I would just get cotton twill and make them dressy chinos. But I've heard from friends that cream-colored five-pocket jeans or cords can be good with sport coats.

I find that I don't really wear linen as separates. Meaning, I only ever really wear my linen suit as a suit, not separates, even though I initially commissioned them with the intention of breaking them up. I have another linen suit on my list of things to get in the next year or so, but I don't know if I would commission linen odd trousers.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Barathea that would be used for a dinner jacket. Cloth can be found in most formal wear books. It's sturdy, has guts and minimal see-thru of the pockets and shirt etc. Has surface texture but not a seasonal look like flannel or linen.
Various weights available.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of cream/off white trousers. The most classic are made from Fox Brothers' "Cricket White" worsted flannel at 9/10oz. Counter-intuitively, they are quite wearable in summer up to 80º or 85º. I have a very lightweight pair in a Zegna wool worsted, another pair in a lightweight gabardine, at around 8oz. Kit Blake made a version of its trousers in a silk/wool blend that are really nice. I also have a pair in a VBC silk/linen blend. All these are summer trousers. Then I have a pair of trousers made in a heavyweight Fox cavalry twill that was a collaboration with Permanent Style, and, finally, a pair of cream corduroy trousers. Those two are winter trousers.

So, it all depends on when you want to wear them and what fabric you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads