1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What exactly is "Saffiano" leather?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bob Loblaw, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Well-Known Member

I have no clue. Any ideas? The big fashion houses such as Prada seem to use it a lot these days. Is it another flavor of corrected grain?

2. bmulford

bmulford Well-Known Member

I don't know what the underlying leather is - but I believe saffiano refers to the imprint on the hide. The rough cross hatch on the leather makes it fairly resistant to scratches and keeps it looking new for a long time. No chance of developing a patina on it, but its great for contemporary pieces.

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

I believe its corrected grain leather. Will not take polish and will not patina, but will look new longer.

4. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

Bumping a very old thread but anyone have more experience with this?

I've been looking at a brief from LV in this leather in dark brown (very subtle, low key), but the thought of paying that much for corrected grain leather that doesn't take on a patina worries me.

5. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Well-Known Member

Real Saffian is a sumach tanned goatskin, which is embossed and brought to a high shine using a glass device. False Saffian is made of sheepskin. Both are very glossy (almost like lacquered) on the upside and dry an smooth on the downside. It used to be a very sought-after leather for boots and small leather goods as well as for bookbinding.

6. pradaboy

pradaboy New Member

Saffiano leather is tanned by one of Italy's most famous and prestigious tanneries. The mottled Saffiano grained leather is tanned with plant extracts, then deep-dyed. The two tones give the pattern special depth and modernity. Saffiano is water repellent and will resist scrathes.

7. callmeRichard

callmeRichard Active Member

Any ideas about something labeled as 100% Synthetic Saffiano Leather? Saw the term used for the first time and this thread is about the best thing google could find.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

It just means that a pleather has been embossed with the characteristic cross hatch of saffiano finished leather.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015