• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What exactly is a trophy wife?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine a woman who spends all day tanning at the beach to look good at night for hubby qualifies.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I imagine a woman who spends all day tanning at the beach to look good at night for hubby qualifies.

It's a term used by the sculpting-fetishism (sf) community for a particular brand of sf-ers that officialize their union with Oscar (tm) throphies by conducting a secret ceremony involving granite, chocolate ladders, invocation to pygmalion and bungee jumping. The "bride" is called the "trophy wife". Feel free to pm me if you have a question about any topic, I have encyclopedic knowledge that can be applied to pretty much everything.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wbGOLFwoods_wideweb__470x381,0.jpg
041203_woods_vmed_7a.widec.jpg

Karo

Reaction score
When you steal someone else's wife.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Trophy wife, for me, means the man has a woman that is far too good looking to be with him under any circumstances other than he has money coming out of all his orifices. Other defining characteristics of trophy wives, for me, are that they are incapable of making a good living on their own, they tend to thrive on plastic surgery, and they have a shelf life of about 20 years.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Often they are second wives, far younger than the original. In any case, they're generally a lotyounger than the guy they marry. And they NEVER, ever have jobs.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure we have all read this before but its a classic:

New York Woman Posts Ad To Marry Wealthy Man
Popular website, criagslist, recieved this post
This ad appeared on craigslist.com:

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy.
I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms

-What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings

-Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?

- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there?

- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY

Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

The response:

I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament.
Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful"
as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way.
Classic "pump and dump." I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was great.
I'm not sure how I missed that one when it came out.

Karo

Reaction score
She got told. Ouch.
laugh.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot, younger wife who's primary purpose in life is to look hot and young next to their older, wealthier husband. There are different ways of going about that for said wife but that's the idea. They are a "trophy" for a victory of monetary success in life.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I knew a girl in college that told me she wanted to be a trophy wife. She was probably one of the most self centered, conceited girls I had ever met.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
I knew a girl in college that told me she wanted to be a trophy wife. She was probably one of the most self centered, conceited girls I had ever met.

But how attractive was she?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads