• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What exactly is a soft collar?

savvyibd

Reaction score
I own some Kiton shirts (OTR) and I have had many shirts made via Bergdorf. I still don't understand what is meant by Kiton's "soft collar". I know Kiton uses a lot of marketing hype, but Anna in Napoli is suppose to be well known for her soft collar. I really don't want to travel back to Italia unless it's absolutely worth it, so can somebody tell me what exactly do they mean by a soft collar? Sure, my Kiton shirts are softer - but that's because of the thread count imo (and I prefer a heavier shirt so it doesn't rip as easy as Kiton or Charvet).

Is it not having the collar stays? Does anybody remove them? Is it because the cuffs and collars aren't fused? What exactly is a "soft collar"?

And are there options in America for a real bespoke shirt (the thing I like most about BG's MTM shirts is the high armpit hole and the good fit as I have an unusual body shape), which doesn't require traveling to Italia? Or something decent in London?

I'm open for suggestions. With that in mind, how are Rubinnaci's shirts? I am not sure he does custom shirts, but I guess he does.. I could go to London and have them made - I just don't want to travel to Italia if I don't have to. I'm in Zürich at the moment, so if there are any tailors here you'd recommend, I'm listening.

Thanks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It means either that there is no interlining between the two layers of cloth in the collar (this is true for, say, oxford cloth button downs) or that the interlining is very, very soft (probably what Kiton means).

savvyibd

Reaction score
And having no interlining, does it make a huge difference in shirts? In honesty, I find my BG MTM shirts much more comfortable than Kiton's.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savvyibd
And having no interlining, does it make a huge difference in shirts? In honesty, I find my BG MTM shirts much more comfortable than Kiton's.

I think most dress shirt cloth is too thin to work with no interlining. Certainly, I never come accross that. It works with oxford because the cloth is so sturdy already.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Just wondering, what makes a soft collar so preferable?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan

I like they way the roll and sort of move with you. They can be more comfortable as well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another thing that distinguishes some soft collars is the lack of fusing although there is an interlining.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Another thing that distinguishes some soft collars is the lack of fusing although there is an interlining.

Good fusing can still be very soft, though I agree that softness is mostly associated with non-fused collars.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan

Some guys like a stiff, starched look. I used to like it as well (1980's and 90's) and got my shirts laundered with starch. But over time I've come to enjoy the look and feel of a more relaxed, soft collar. I think it reflects an attitude that is more relaxed and appealing.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually appreciate my new MTM shirst more after the umpteenth washing for just that reason- collars start too stiff, stays or no.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Soft collar, softest interlining the maker carries, unfused, no collar stays:

p1050364dk2.jpg

See how it is "uneven" and not straight? I like that.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think most dress shirt cloth is too thin to work with no interlining. Certainly, I never come accross that. It works with oxford because the cloth is so sturdy already.

I've tried it on a couple of shirts from Hamilton, and it doesn't work.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savvyibd
That's Anna, correct?

Mine? No. Geneva, NYC.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Soft collar, softest interlining the maker carries, unfused, no collar stays:

See how it is "uneven" and not straight? I like that.

Still going stay-less, huh? I like the concept, and I've tried it a couple of times. It just seems like my collar points flare upward after a while. By late in the day, they stand up and out like a pair of hard nipples. Am I digging my chin into my shirts too much, or are they just cheap shirts, or ought I to just stick with collar stays?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics