• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What exactly is a soft collar?

savvyibd

Reaction score
I own some Kiton shirts (OTR) and I have had many shirts made via Bergdorf. I still don't understand what is meant by Kiton's "soft collar". I know Kiton uses a lot of marketing hype, but Anna in Napoli is suppose to be well known for her soft collar. I really don't want to travel back to Italia unless it's absolutely worth it, so can somebody tell me what exactly do they mean by a soft collar? Sure, my Kiton shirts are softer - but that's because of the thread count imo (and I prefer a heavier shirt so it doesn't rip as easy as Kiton or Charvet).

Is it not having the collar stays? Does anybody remove them? Is it because the cuffs and collars aren't fused? What exactly is a "soft collar"?

And are there options in America for a real bespoke shirt (the thing I like most about BG's MTM shirts is the high armpit hole and the good fit as I have an unusual body shape), which doesn't require traveling to Italia? Or something decent in London?

I'm open for suggestions. With that in mind, how are Rubinnaci's shirts? I am not sure he does custom shirts, but I guess he does.. I could go to London and have them made - I just don't want to travel to Italia if I don't have to. I'm in Zürich at the moment, so if there are any tailors here you'd recommend, I'm listening.

Thanks.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It means either that there is no interlining between the two layers of cloth in the collar (this is true for, say, oxford cloth button downs) or that the interlining is very, very soft (probably what Kiton means).

savvyibd

Reaction score
And having no interlining, does it make a huge difference in shirts? In honesty, I find my BG MTM shirts much more comfortable than Kiton's.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savvyibd
And having no interlining, does it make a huge difference in shirts? In honesty, I find my BG MTM shirts much more comfortable than Kiton's.

I think most dress shirt cloth is too thin to work with no interlining. Certainly, I never come accross that. It works with oxford because the cloth is so sturdy already.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Just wondering, what makes a soft collar so preferable?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan

I like they way the roll and sort of move with you. They can be more comfortable as well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another thing that distinguishes some soft collars is the lack of fusing although there is an interlining.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Another thing that distinguishes some soft collars is the lack of fusing although there is an interlining.

Good fusing can still be very soft, though I agree that softness is mostly associated with non-fused collars.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan

Some guys like a stiff, starched look. I used to like it as well (1980's and 90's) and got my shirts laundered with starch. But over time I've come to enjoy the look and feel of a more relaxed, soft collar. I think it reflects an attitude that is more relaxed and appealing.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually appreciate my new MTM shirst more after the umpteenth washing for just that reason- collars start too stiff, stays or no.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Soft collar, softest interlining the maker carries, unfused, no collar stays:

See how it is "uneven" and not straight? I like that.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think most dress shirt cloth is too thin to work with no interlining. Certainly, I never come accross that. It works with oxford because the cloth is so sturdy already.

I've tried it on a couple of shirts from Hamilton, and it doesn't work.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savvyibd
That's Anna, correct?

Mine? No. Geneva, NYC.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Soft collar, softest interlining the maker carries, unfused, no collar stays:

See how it is "uneven" and not straight? I like that.

Still going stay-less, huh? I like the concept, and I've tried it a couple of times. It just seems like my collar points flare upward after a while. By late in the day, they stand up and out like a pair of hard nipples. Am I digging my chin into my shirts too much, or are they just cheap shirts, or ought I to just stick with collar stays?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 133 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 120 15.6%
  • 31 - 40