• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What exactly does makes great shoes great?

francisco_bt

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy two pairs of captoe balmorals for my first job, which requires wearing a suit everyday. I been lurking around this forum, and I've seen many people recommending investing in a good pair of shoes. I was wondering what makes a great shoe great, for example, why Allen Edmonds shoes are so highly regarded? Is it durability, comfort, looks?

I was thinking about getting a pair of Park Avenue Allen Edmonds, and a pair of Bostonians, which I can get them for half price ($150 to $75).

Are these choices worth it and why? My strategy would be to use one every other day, with the Bostonians being the heavy duty shoe (rainy days, etc.)

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
design
materials
construction
comfort
durability

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
utility to cost ratio is the highest with the AE PA's. above it, every dollar higher yields you less marginal utility.

any less and opportunity costs start to rise

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by francisco_bt
I'm looking to buy two pairs of captoe balmorals for my first job, which requires wearing a suit everyday. I been lurking around this forum, and I've seen many people recommending investing in a good pair of shoes. I was wondering what makes a great shoe great, for example, why Allen Edmonds shoes are so highly regarded? Is it durability, comfort, looks? I was thinking about getting a pair of Park Avenue Allen Edmonds, and a pair of Bostonians, which I can get them for half price ($150 to $75). Are these choices worth it and why? My strategy would be to use one every other day, with the Bostonians being the heavy duty shoe (rainy days, etc.)
Good shoes use the highest quality corrected grain on the market. You really want to stay away from true calf and cordovan, as they lack durability and look quite cheap. Goodyear welting is also known to be quite flimsy. For better construction, you want to look for a sole that is attached to the upper with an adhesive. I find a lot of English and Italian shoes to be quite "blobby." American shoes from Allen Edmonds are quite sleek. .... Seriously dude, use the search function.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Good shoes use the highest quality corrected grain on the market. You really want to stay away from true calf and cordovan, as they lack durability and look quite cheap.

Goodyear welting is also known to be quite flimsy. For better construction, you want to look for a sole that is attached to the upper with an adhesive.

I find a lot of English and Italian shoes to be quite "blobby." American shoes from Allen Edmonds are quite sleek.

http://the-last-shall-be-first.blogs...-welting.html#

If you can be bothered to read it all, this explains goodyear welting in lots of detail. This and the quality of the leather are the important things.

If you can't be bothered to read it (or use the search function) then just buy the shoes recommended by these guys, they tend to know their shit.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 154 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.7%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 40 8.4%