• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What exact sneakers should we send Tyler George - 2018 Olympic Champion Curling, USA?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We've decided to send Tyler George a pair of sneakers to replace his eight year old Skechers. An Olympic Gold Medallist deserves an upgrade:

So, let's hear some suggestions. I'll spend some time trying to figure out his size (I really hope that he posts here asking what his GAT size is!) and how we actually do this.

Please post both pics and a link, since I really don't feel like searching all over for them. Also, a place with a full size run would be great.

I'll start a poll when we've narrowed to a reasonable number of choices.

I'll start:

Margiela GATS in the all white colorway. I personally wear the ones with the gum colored sole, but I like these for stealth on the ice. I know that others have suggested the paint spattered one, but I feel like the sneakers for him should be more of a canvas for his awesome curling skills to break in. We should probably send him care instructions as well.

https://www.maisonmargiela.com/us/maison-margiela/sneakers_cod11402867ol.html#dept=rplcmn

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
OMG. Tyler George just tweeted us, and will be monitoring this thread. Let's make some gold medal worthy suggestions, guys!

Styleforum Tyler George.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
So, does anyone here actually curl? Because I don't know what is really needed in a curling shoe. I'll look it up. Do they need a really flat, wider, sole, in which case, something like Margiela GATs might not be ideal, but which something built on the Serena sole might be super perfect. Do you need arch support, or is something like Chuck Taylors better? I really wish now that I'd taken up that invitation to start curling back in college.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I realize this is kinda previous-level, but what about some Common Projects Achilles in white? I figure it's the one situation where the gold-stamp lettering is actually appropriate.

https://www.barneys.com/product/common-projects-achilles-low-top-sneakers-503141872.html
I like them, but we have to ask him about his foot shape. I don't know about adult Skechers, but my kids have had a few pairs, and they tend to run wide. A guy with a wide foot is not going to love Common Projects.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what Tyler's preferences are, but I'm pretty sure he's not gonna wear these to actually curl since 1) they make specific shoes with different soles for each foot (from wiki "the slider shoe (usually known as a "slider") is designed for the sliding foot and the "gripper shoe" (usually known as a gripper) for the hack foot." and 2) the team will probly be sponsored.

Should we aim to get the homie some dope casual sneaks instead?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.