• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What ever happened to silk shirts?

nicad2000

Reaction score
So I've been reading my way through the original (Fleming) Bond books and the most consistent sartorial reference I've seen is to 007 wearing white silk shirts. Was this common back in the 50's and 60's? If so, whatever happened to them? I could imagine silk shirts draping better than the cotton we use these days but can't say that I've ever seen one.

matsui

Reaction score
I know personally, junior high in the early 90's killed them off for me.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the 80s and 90s, Versace (and copy cats) ran silk shirts into the ground. It's didn't help that China start making shirts for a "dime a dozen".

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I think silk shirts peaked around 1985 - 1993 with Versace as the exemplar. You can still buy Versace Medusa and other type silk shirts on Ebay. I don't know how much they sell for these days.

And they have come down in price with many cheap Chinese imports which were not as common in the 1980s.

I don't know anyone on SF that would admit to wearing silk shirts often.

I have heard that very rich non businessman playboy types wore silk shirts back in the day when they were a real luxury. Think of Porfirio Rubirosa in the 1940s and 50s.

PS:I just thought of the Nat Nast and Tommy Bahama brands. They currently make silk shirts very often with a retro look. I think they sell well, but they are not talked about much here.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Yeah, I think silk shirts peaked around 1985 - 1993 with Versace as the exemplar. You can still buy Versace Medusa and other type silk shirts on Ebay. I don't know how much they sell for these days.

And they have come down in price with many cheap Chinese imports which were not as common in the 1980s.

I don't know anyone on SF that would admit to wearing silk shirts often.

I have heard that very rich non businessman playboy types wore silk shirts back in the day when they were a real luxury. Think of Porfirio Rubirosa in the 1940s and 50s.

PS:I just thought of the Nat Nast and Tommy Bahama brands. They currently make silk shirts very often with a retro look. I think they sell well, but they are not talked about much here.

I bought a purple silk shirt in my early sartorial days. I still have it in my closet, it hasn't been worn once. Any idea what they sell for on ebay? It's Yohji Yamamoto FWIW.

nicad2000

Reaction score
I think I've seen the Tommy Bahama variety, but I was thinking more of the silk shirt to wear with a suit/tie rather than leisure wear. What's being said about China flooding the market with cheap examples makes a lot of sense.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh haiiiii
blush.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicad2000
I think I've seen the Tommy Bahama variety, but I was thinking more of the silk shirt to wear with a suit/tie rather than leisure wear. What's being said about China flooding the market with cheap examples makes a lot of sense.

So it fell out of favour because the social elites find that they are no longer exclusive enough?

I haven't really seen any silk shirts at all but recently I came across a cotton/silk blend shirt - I think it was a Pink - and it doesn't seem all that different from pure cotton shirts. Maybe it has just a bit smoother texture.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicad2000

I do not know of one single person that wears 100% silk shirts as dress shirts with suits and ties.

Does anyone?

PS:From a Google. We now know they exist! And with an included matching tie and pocket square. Sort of a Donald Trump look.

And here is something of a little better quality I think. I still don't see 100% silk shirts as making any sense compared to cotton shirts.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They went the way of the Appreciation 'stache. Either that or spoo bought all of them

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I bought a purple silk shirt in my early sartorial days. I still have it in my closet, it hasn't been worn once. Any idea what they sell for on ebay? It's Yohji Yamamoto FWIW.

You could probably do OK selling a Yohji silk shirt over at SW&D. What size is it?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a couple of Nat Nast short sleeves. Nice looking and good quality, but I prefer cotton. They were an impulse buy.

Matt S

Reaction score
Ian Fleming wrote about white and blue silk shirts like they were the standard formal and dress shirts. We're not talking about the kind of silk shirts that were popular in the 80s and 90s.

The reason I can see why silk shirts aren't as popular as cotton is because cotton breathes better. But at least silk won't wrinkle as much as cotton does and seems like a better alternative to non-iron, though I don't know what would be the most effective way to wash them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads