• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What else can I wear for summer?

chrisc

Reaction score
Ok, so hot weather is officially here. And since we're on this topic, I'll like to add that I hate hot weather (meaning I don't consider summer as one of my favorite seasons. But I do love winter!)

So besides the usual polos and the light dress shirt, what else can I wear? I can't seem to find anything else that will add at least a little variety. Since it can be so damn freaking hot (see my love?), I can't really layer clothing. And considering that I'm just a college student, I only find a few moments where I can shine with a nice dress shirt and tie. Which mostly leaves polos and t-shirts. (yay
plain.gif
)

Any other ideas?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one word for you son, Linen.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisc
Ok, so hot weather is officially here. And since we're on this topic, I'll like to add that I hate hot weather (meaning I don't consider summer as one of my favorite seasons. But I do love winter!)

So besides the usual polos and the light dress shirt, what else can I wear? I can't seem to find anything else that will add at least a little variety. Since it can be so damn freaking hot (see my love?), I can't really layer clothing. And considering that I'm just a college student, I only find a few moments where I can shine with a nice dress shirt and tie. Which mostly leaves polos and t-shirts. (yay
plain.gif
)

Any other ideas?

Linen is always a fine option, both shirts and trousers. And a seersucker jacket could probably work within your wardrobe, unless that's too much layering for you.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I agree with the previous posters on linen and seeruscker. Many great looks can be made from both fabrics. I only have one pair of linen pants and a few seersucker items and they are great for summer. A seersucker suit is a great item to have for summer.
teacha.gif

thmeky

Reaction score
My idea of an ultimate summer outfit consists of this:

linen or cotton/linen Incotex trousers

a nice MTM shirt from a sea island cotton (very comfortable in the hotter seasons)

suede loafers

a unconstructed (no lining) sportcoat from linen and/or cotton

I would skip the seersucker

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. Your focus is on shirts?

Seersucker in other forms in New York might look strange, but it makes a good shirt choice.

As suggested by others, linen works well.

You also have options like silk and blends of cotton with linen or silk.

If you're wearing undershirts, silk-weight helps.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Funny, I would never wear a seersucker shirt. Coat yes, shirt no.

Seersucker doesn't have to come in the stripes we all associate with seersucker suits. I have several plaid seersucker shirts that are a nice casual look and keep me feeling cool.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a vest unassociated with a suit

thin wale corduroy slacks

leather sandals with Burmese python detailing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads