• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What else are dress shoes made of???

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I picked up a pair of vintage longwings that I think are shell cordovan. The are labeled "Strathmore by Verde," and the sole and insole are stamped Made in England. They are definitely not calfskin, because there are no creases. There are a few reasons I am not sure that they are shell. The squeak when I walk. The surface has the shine of shell, and when it rubs against itself it squeaks. They are a very consistent color. There is no variation in the dye at all. Finally, I have never heard of the brand. They are definitely old, so it is possible that the company is no longer in business. The shoes are well constructed with a v-cleat and double stacked heel.

My questions is, what else could they be made of, if not shell?

I will try to provide better pics, if requested, after I get off work.

Hanseat

Reaction score
Judging from the picture I'd say its corrected grain leather. Do a search on the forum.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They look like they could be shell to me, but it's hard to tell from just that picture. If you wear them a while and waxy stuff appears in the creases, they are definitely shell. If it doesn't, it seems unlikely. That seems to happen to all the shell shoes I've seen or had.

Josef Seibel

Reaction score
looks like shell to me. my alden longwings show nearly identically creasing.

aaaaaaaaep2.png

toby203

Reaction score
I recently picked up the exact pair of shoes shown in your photo.

The soles are are double oak with a goodyear welt and are stamped "made in England". The heals have a v-cleat with nails, have the inside front corner angled and appear are nearly identical to vintage Florsheim Imperial Kenmors. The only difference is that these do not have the 6 nails in the arch of the sole.

I can say without a doubt that these are shell cordovan and the leather is of the same quality as found on Alden.

I have been told that Strathmore by Verde is/was a sub of Crockett & Jones, but I have not been able to confirm this. Again, they look more like vintage Florsheim workmanship.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel certain they are shell.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
take a lighter to them. see if they shrivel up into a melted ball of plastic

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought and sold probably 30 pairs of shell cordovan shoes. I have 4 pairs in my current line up. I am highly suspicious of the shoes I had. The shoes I had would not scratch. Normally, shell will scratch easily. I don't mean tear the leather scratches, but indentions. The "material" these shoes were made of was indestructible.

I returned the Strathmores I purchased to the seller for a couple of reasons.
1.They were really poorly made. Absolute Garbage. Not even close to the construction of Vintage Florsheims.

2. They squeeked with I walked. It sounded like a synthetic material rubbing against itself. This is what made me doubt their make up. It was so loud that I just sat at my desk. I wouldn't even get up to get water.

toby203

Reaction score
You may have made a rush to judgement.

Again, I have the same shoes. I was at my local shoe maker (craftsman from the old country) picking a pair of my Vintage Cordvan Florsheim Kemoors that were in for repair. I Asked him to look at my Strathmores and questioned their qaulity and whether they were shell. He confirmed without doubt that they are shell and are of better quality (both the uppers and soles) than the vintage Florsheims. He explained that this cordovan is pit tanned and may stay in the tanning solution for up to 1 year. The pores in the shell and in the leather used on the soles is much tighter than that on other shell cordovan are are much more water reisstent.

Mine squeek a bit as well. It is from the laces rubbing through the eyelets as I walk. I have Alden, Florsheim and Allen Edmund laced corcovans and all squeek to some degree.
Try new laces or a bit of wax shoe polish on the laces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads