• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What electives should I take...

likeitaloud

Reaction score
First year, poli sci major. Got all the classes I need in order but need to take 2 more.

Anyone got some crazy electives to throw out there?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Give us some things you're thinking of taking.

KBW

Reaction score
depends on your school. The last week+ of this month (9 or 10 days I forget) I'm taking an advanced snowboarding class where we head out to Crested Butte, CO and go snowboarding for a week (first three days we learn but I don't know yet what that is about) and get credit for it. This is my last semester and I've finished all of my core classes other than a literature course I have to take so I'm just taking a lot of joke electives. The "advanced snowboarding" instructor sent us an email and it is either an A or fail class if you can safely go down a black <> at the end of the "class" you get an A. If not you fail.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about scuba diving?

Edited to add: You may already know this but above all take something that sounds interesting to you or fun. Never take anything because it sounds easy, it usually isn't and can really drag your semester down.

Pylon

Reaction score
Anything you haven't had a taste of yet. You'll be surprised how you might find something you'd never otherwise think of very interesting (or find out you truly hate something). Sociology can be pretty interesting regardless of your field, or a history course to give you a deeper perspective on a culture or issue, or dabble in a language even if briefly: Even a little Latin will give you an interesting background on entomology and a million other random things; a little French or German never hurt anyone either. Really, the sky's the limit.

But of course your degree program likely has core requirements -- best to make sure you're checking off as many of those as possible with your electives, too.

TowleY

Reaction score
The history of king arthur
smile.gif

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Ok I'm generally interested in courses aside from poli sci that concentrate on serious issues, some interesting classes are history of US/Britain, some sociology courses. I generally try to avoid classes like philosophy 101 as they see kind of too generic. I also would hate wasting 30 hours and $400 to study "vampires in movies."

So what classes in your experience have the the most attractive girls :p ? I think I might take some history of art or theater; this kind of cultural studies sounds really interesting to me.

I don't know where you guys go to but snowboarding and scuba diving are not offered in my university.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Yoga is the best class for meeting girls. I'm serious.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Yoga is the best class for meeting girls. I'm serious.

I don't disagree but it's not a class. Co-ed volleyball is even better since no one assumes you are gay or are getting a theater major.

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
So what classes in your experience have the the most attractive girls :p ?

Literature courses!
inlove.gif

(and there was a particularly beautiful selection in this one honors history seminar on women in the Middle East)

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
women's studies classes I guess.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Ok I'm generally interested in courses aside from poli sci that concentrate on serious issues, some interesting classes are history of US/Britain, some sociology courses. I generally try to avoid classes like philosophy 101 as they see kind of too generic. I also would hate wasting 30 hours and $400 to study "vampires in movies."

So what classes in your experience have the the most attractive girls :p ? I think I might take some history of art or theater; this kind of cultural studies sounds really interesting to me.

I don't know where you guys go to but snowboarding and scuba diving are not offered in my university.

That's wierd, I've known a lot of people who have taken scuba diving at a variety of universities.

Anthropology typically has a lot of girls and a fair range of topics to choose from, so you might find something that would interest you.

cbird

Reaction score
Take French for meeting girls. For value in living, take Philosophy 101 and follow it up with a course in logic - rather than just learning something, you'll be programming your mind to really make sense and to be more sensitive to it when someone else is not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads