• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Dress Shirt Should I Buy?

Aqil

Reaction score
Hi all,

My old dress shirts are worn out and I want to buy new ones. This time I want them to be of higher quality so that they last longer.

I want a white standard conservative business formal dress shirt, with point collar and barrel cuffs; nothing fancy. Apparently, removable collar stays are advisable. Should the collar be fused or not? What else do I need to consider before making the purchase?

The dress shirts I saw in retail in the UK today seems to have rather soft and narrow collars. Is this a fad to be avoided or am I watching too old movies? If I had to choice between classy and fashionable, I'd pick class any day. What does the president wear? His collar doesn't seem to be as flimsy as the ones I see in the shops, or is it?

Where in the UK or online can I buy reasonably priced dress shirts?

Billy Banter

Reaction score
Hi Aqil,

Inexpensive as they are, I’d avoid the shirts in your link. They look good in a picture, may look good for a few washes, but that’s it. And frankly, avoid all the others that seem to have a permanent sale.

Admittedly more than twice the price of the shirts in your link but value for money, try Harvie & Hudson, http://www.harvieandhudson.com/ - 3 or more shirts at 49.50 pounds each. This weekend they have a special offer of free delivery worldwide – as does the company in your link - and the order must be for 150 pounds or more, maybe Mr Harvie will be kind if you only want 3 shirts. They offer a choice of sleeve length, and their collars have removable stiffeners – yes, a must.

Their collars are "lightly fused" according to them, although I personally find them too stiff, much prefer unfused collars. I’ve had many different shirts from Jermyn Street, from the low priced always on sale - none are worth the money - to Hilditch & Key, New & Lingwood etc. My H&H are lasting well, at least 3 years old, some fraying on the cuffs but not serious.

You could also try Stephan Shirts in Fulham, http://www.stephanshirts.co.uk/ - 80 pounds for 3 which is approx $44 per shirt. I've not been able to buy any of their shirts - the owner informed me, rather curtly by email, they won't sell to South Africa, where I live.

Mixed reports about them, but their prices are excellent - almost suspiciously so - and some swear by them. No idea what fabrics they use, possibly Acorn for some, and they don’t show any shirts on their website which is not very useful but I gather they have a lot of satisfied customers. I like their collar construction which seems unfused, and which I discovered only by an internet search, examples posted by adherents. When I'm next in London I'll pop in and buy a few - suppose I'll have to disguise my accent!

I’m sure your president has his shirts made for him.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 106 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 92 29.8%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%