• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What *don't* you wear?

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Quote:
+1

I would add to the above:
  • Most traditional styles from English shoe makers (with the exception of C&J)
  • Monks (although I just ordered a pair of single Monks from Meermin to try the style)
  • Semi / Full brogues
  • Medallions [shoes]
  • Double-breasted suits

From reading a lot of SF posts on shoes and seeing different styles and lasts, I'm disappointed in the recent styles of some of the English shoe makers. The Loake 1880 range in particular seems to have become more chunkier - I have the Aldwych - over styles such as the Norwich, Truro and Wells. The only shoes that I like from a style point of view (construction and quality aside) are some C&J e.g the Alden.

Sadly, I own 4 pairs of shoes (or 6 if you count the pair of black work beaters never to see daylight again, snap with my ugly WAG / Recruitment Consultant-tan wingtip square toe monstrosities), and 3 of the 4 are black. The 2 pairs of shoes I ordered from Meermin unfortunately were only available in black. From here on in, dress shoes shall be bought in various burgundys, chestnuts, walnuts and tans - maybe other colour combinations for MTOs.

Last edited:

raalltheway

Reaction score
Are people actually still wearing crocs?? I thought they went out of fashion minutes after the idea was conceived.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Crocs arent bad for gardening. Can hose them off when done.

Last edited:

Oleg

Reaction score
bow ties (except for black tie): I admire Big Beard but would look a complete tit if I tried it myself.

blazers with gold buttons: Too many Alan Partridge (or 1980s, BMW-driving Home Counties estate agent who drinks at the local golf club) associations. My problem, perhaps, but there you go.

double breasted suits: I just haven't. Maybe one day.

garish strides: not pseudo-waspish enough for nantuckets, not Italian (or colour blind) enough for bright green, etc.

OCBDs with suits: I'm British, dammit.

Loafers with a suit: Ditto

A suit and tie unless the circumstances call for it (being slightly overdressed is one thing but it's just playing dress-up for some on here): Just go back and read about Reevolving's trip to the sports bar or the beach (remember to pack that tie, folks!) to realise why appropriateness is important.

A Celtic FC shirt: This shouldn't need explaining

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hendrix
"You are such an awful poster."

And you're such an awful person. What's worse?

HughJ

Reaction score

To be fair, Crocs arent bad for gardening. Can hose them off when done.

It is fair, but I see them about town far too often.

Just go back and read about Reevolving's trip to the sports bar or the beach (remember to pack that tie, folks!) to realise why appropriateness is important.

Surely a sign of the coming apocalypse.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I feel that; have to do the same myself.

No real psychological insights, just that it really did flow smoothly from one concept to another. One could almost see the cogs ticking round, and even the leaps from one subset to another actually did have a tangential associative link. For instance, the leap from sleeve garters to green eyeshades conjures up an old-school Western saloon card dealer with a green visor. Or moving from tweed generally onto the different types of jackets, flows from the fact the two are frequently found together as "tweed jacket". Sorry, I'm used to having to notice this stuff!

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I feel that; have to do the same myself.

No real psychological insights, just that it really did flow smoothly from one concept to another. One could almost see the cogs ticking round, and even the leaps from one subset to another actually did have a tangential associative link. For instance, the leap from sleeve garters to green eyeshades conjures up an old-school Western saloon card dealer with a green visor. Or moving from tweed generally onto the different types of jackets, flows from the fact the two are frequently found together as "tweed jacket". Sorry, I'm used to having to notice this stuff!

I'm gonna have to stop posting when you're around HF, too close for comfort!

That reminds me of an episode of Cheers when Frazier had to hypnotize Woody for some reason:

Cliff: that took a long time Doc, I imagine it's very difficult to get through to someone like Woody?
Frazier: Oh no it was easy, he was very open to suggestion and I found what I needed instantly.
Cliff: then what were you doing for the rest of all that time?
Frazier: Oh, just browsing Cliff, just browsing ...

:D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads