• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does this say? Is it Chinese?

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
Hi, guys, I just picked up a silk robe / dressing gown here in Ho Chi Minh City, and it had these characters on it. I asked what they meant, and the sales clerk said "oh it means nothing, just a design." Of course, in Vietnamese, Chinese characters don't mean anything anymore, and I have to admit that they don't really look 100% like Chinese characters, but I just wanted to make sure it doesn't say anything like "sweet & sour chicken" or "this guy's a looser." I'd appreciate it if any of you who can read Chinese or Kanji can confirm that it does indeed mean nothing. Thanks!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's highly stylized but I think it's 'Fuk luk sow' or rather 'luck fortune and longevity', a common phrase in chinese.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

Originally Posted by chobochobo
It's highly stylized but I think it's 'Fuk luk sow' or rather 'luck fortune and longevity', a common phrase in chinese.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Not chinese.

Cultural revolution at its work here. Definitely not Simplified Chinese.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
at a guess, I'd say that it is chu nho or chu nom, which was the Vietnamese Chinese script that became redundant ~400 years ago.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the letters are lying on their right side, so you need to rotate the image anticlockwise 90 degrees, then you'd get the three characters from top to bottom. I think they say what I think they say
smile.gif

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
the letters are lying on their right side, so you need to rotate the image anticlockwise 90 degrees, then you'd get the three characters from top to bottom. I think they say what I think they say
smile.gif

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the picture is sideways, for some reason it loaded that way. The old Vietnamese characters were the same as what they call Traditional Chinese characters as used in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau, but from what I understand that writing system's not that different than the Simplified characters as used in Mainland China and Singapore. Like I said in the first post, they don't really look like Chinese characters to me. Even if it doesn't say "Luck, Fortune and Longevity," that's what I'll tell people it says.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BipgoBumpo
Yeah, I should have mentioned that the picture is sideways, for some reason it loaded that way. The old Vietnamese characters were the same as what they call Traditional Chinese characters as used in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau, but from what I understand that writing system's not that different than the Simplified characters as used in Mainland China and Singapore. Like I said in the first post, they don't really look like Chinese characters to me. Even if it doesn't say "Luck, Fortune and Longevity," that's what I'll tell people it says.

There's at least a dozen types (not fonts, btw) of Chinese characters and that definitely says luck, fortune and longevity.

the plague of Simplified Chinese continued...

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stand correct. They are Chinese - "福禄寿" - luck, fortune, and longevity.

Yep........... its funny, I had to translate the same pharse for my friend over the weekend, she received the writing on a neckless.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
They are Chinese - "福禄寿"

福禄寿? Is that Simplified or Traditional? And how do you say that in pinyin?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads