• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does SF think of these shoe brands...

inlandisland

Reaction score
I know there have been some 'favoirte shoe brands' threads in the past and there are certain brands that are easily identifiable as SF approved or not, but I am wondering what the SF consensus is on some of the brands that are talked about less...

Canali, Salvatore Ferragamo, and Mezlan (and I'm not suggesting that these three are all in the same 'league') are the first ones that come to mind but I'm sure that are many others.

So, if you have any thoughts on shoes that aren't AE, Alden, C&J, etc. please share.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
ferragamos are some of my favorite shoes. I also have a pair of old Mezlans that I really like. Had em for about 8 years now.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[ Salvatore Ferragamo's are cool...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland
Canali, Salvatore Ferragamo, and Mezlan (and I'm not suggesting that these three are all in the same 'league') are the first ones that come to mind but I'm sure that are many others.

So, if you have any thoughts on shoes that aren't AE, Alden, C&J, etc. please share.

canali: a little off-kilter fashion forward and uses cheaper leathers (campanile?). same maker as the facconable shoes ? they are ok at the half price or less. but im not even interetsed in them even at that price

ferragamo: widely accepted and sf approved fashion house brand. LO line is decent and great deal at 200 or less. tramezzas are very well made. even the studio line (do they still make them?) are decent at a low price. i had a pair of studio deeper they were very sleek

mezlan: not a great brand . made in spain. shapes and styling not prferable. uncomfortable the ones ive tried on. some will say they had good experience with them. so be it.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pair of shoes by Canali and their maker, Campanile and enjoy them all.
They are very solidly built, comfortable and elegant shoes. I find the leather to be in more frequent need of lotioning as they tend to dry out faster than other makes. That aside, I give them high praise.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I hate the Mezlans I bought online. I thought the leather sucked.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I read on SF the big knock on Mezlans is styling and construction. Having examined them in the store, I have to agree. They look a bit odd.

Otherwise, I like both Ferragamo and Canali.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
I hate the Mezlans I bought online. I thought the leather sucked.

I have a pair that are now my rain shoes. The leather is waxy and rather strange. Other than that, they look good.

I have a couple of pairs of Ferragamos and one of them in particular is a very handsome shoe. I do prefer my EG, but the Ferragamos have held up well for the last couple of years with only heel replacements.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of SFs and LOVE them. Very stylish, they seem well made, and while not inexpensive, relatively reasonably priced. I was trying on Guccis and LVs, too, and found them too flashy.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mezlan was recently discussed here. I like mine, personally. Then again I've been told on multiple occasions that I have odd taste. I'm sure my personal style, as it develops, will without any sort of prodding end up showing this as well.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the Mezlans that I've handled multiple times looked and felt cheap - especially the quality of the leather.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to the OP highjacking this thread, but I had a burning question (not worthy of a new thread though).

What do you guys think of Testoni shoes?

I have the opportunity to get a new pair for $150, quality looks good, but online I have no way of telling. If they are not at least AE quality, they go back and I hate returning stuff.

Originally Posted by ter1413
[ Salvatore Ferragamo's are cool...

+1, let me know what you think of Testoni.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the Ferragamo love. tramezzas are decent, any ferragamo line lower is just overpriced junk. I do like their casual loafers... but I dont trust their dress shoe quality.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
I have long been a fan of Ferragamos (30 years) but I am finding more love for models from Alden and Santoni. I am finding that I am more drawn to models than makers. I just bought Sebago hand sewns for summer; putting away my Ferragamo suede Diegos from fall/winter and currently wearing my Santoni double monks and Gucci Horsebit loafers with my rolled cuffed khakis. Life is good.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I dont understand the Ferragamo love. tramezzas are decent, any ferragamo line lower is just overpriced junk. I do like their casual loafers... but I dont trust their dress shoe quality.

Ferragamo are good although by no means the best quality shoes. Recently my tolerance threshold for quality has gone down. Saw several pairs of shoes at some designer boutiques recently, and I swear most were too funky or just plain junk. Ferragamo shoes must have been made by God compared to what I saw at those designer outlets. Maybe they were bad outlets, I dont know.

Very patiently waiting for a reply on "What do you guys think of Testoni shoes"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads