• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does one wear with a Khaki jacket?

choya

Reaction score
So I just bought a new khaki colored jacket this weekend. The jacket is a rich, khaki sort of color. Like coffee with a lot of milk. It's Theory - I know not everyone loves the brand, but the cut is perfect and the price was right ($175). Anyway, I'm at a loss for what to wear the thing with. It looks great with dark colored jeans, but I'd like to wear it to work, and I haven't yet devised a shirt/pants combo that doesn't either look a) terrible or b) ridiculously preppie. I'm thinking Navy pants - would that work? Also, is a light colored jacket inherently more informal? Any thoughts?

Great forum by the way, fellahs. And I'm not just saying that to get an answer.

Lino

Reaction score
I have the same problem with a Kiton jacket I picketed up about a month ago. I have not had it tailored because I want to figure out that to wear it with first.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking navy too though charcoal or light gray would work too.
It's khaki so you could wear just about any colored pants with it.
As for shirts same as before just about anything goes with khaki

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think generally it will be more informal. Navy or Grey trousers would likely work, for a more casual look, it could potentially look good with Ivory linen as well.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<votes navy and ivory, particularly ivory linen or seer in the summer/spring>

summej2

Reaction score
I wear mine with deep bottle-green plain-weave worsteds and sometimes chocolate brown worsted twills and shirts in the blue color family including some checks---its my go-to traveling jacket.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Wear it with matching pants and a plain white shirt of course.
stansfield.jpg

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem but i'm curious if fabric would also make a difference. i'm guessing that Choya's is cotton and Lino's is wool or some wool/silk blend.

so would the fabric type also affect what you would wear with it and the formality of the ensemble?

mine is a Jil Sander cotton khaki blazer BTW. so far i've worn it with a lime green shirt, jeans, and white Chucks.

-Jeff

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
i have the same problem but i'm curious if fabric would also make a difference. i'm guessing that Choya's is cotton and Lino's is wool or some wool/silk blend.

so would the fabric type also affect what you would wear with it and the formality of the ensemble?

mine is a Jil Sander cotton khaki blazer BTW. so far i've worn it with a lime green shirt, jeans, and white Chucks.

-Jeff

I'd say it could potentially affect the formality of the ensemble and what you'd wear with it, but it depends. A just-pressed cotton or linen khaki blazer with the right accoutrements isn't going to look overly casual, but they do tend to wrinkle more easily which could affect one's perception of said outfit. I would imagine that a wool or wool/silk blazer will look significantly more formal depending on pattern and texture, and I can somewhat understand the difficulty of matching.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a silk / cotton jacket by Flusser, that is labeled "natural" in color. (Think of a nice cream colored parchment) It is troubling to find a pant to pair with it. Grey looked bad to my eye, a dark khaki or navy seemed to work best. I dont own stark white pants, but they might be an option as was mentioned.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd vote for medium-gray myself. Navy seems a bit too much like an upside-down blazer-and-khaki ensemble.

choya

Reaction score
Good suggestions all. Thank you. However, I couldn't pull it off - returned the thing, but ended up exchanging it for an awesome knee length black coat. Not what I need for summer in DC - to say the least - but I'm pschyed to wear it. As for khaki jackets, I'll leave them to the more sartorially adventurous among us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads