1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What does one wear under a light cashmere v-neck sweater?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Carbon, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Carbon

Carbon Well-Known Member

I've gotten a couple of these sweaters as a gift. They're nice, but I have no idea what to wear them with. I'd like to wear them in a business casual setting and a casual setting.

I can't see using them in a business casual setting because if you put it over a button down shirt without a tie, it seems messy to leave the top buttons unbuttoned. Or even with a tie, wouldn't that look weird under the sweater?

In a casual setting, what are you supposed to wear underneath it? A white crew-neck t-shirt? A black crew-neck t-shirt? Something else? Some of the v-necks go down pretty low so I can't imagine wearing a v-neck t-shirt and showing that much skin.

2. graphix

graphix Senior member

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I've gotten a couple of these sweaters as a gift. They're nice, but I have no idea what to wear them with. I'd like to wear them in a business casual setting and a casual setting.

I can't see using them in a business casual setting because if you put it over a button down shirt without a tie, it seems messy to leave the top buttons unbuttoned. Or even with a tie, wouldn't that look weird under the sweater?

In a casual setting, what are you supposed to wear underneath it? A white crew-neck t-shirt? A black crew-neck t-shirt? Something else? Some of the v-necks go down pretty low so I can't imagine wearing a v-neck t-shirt and showing that much skin.

For business, shirt and tie is a classic look under a v-neck sweater, but so is an unbuttoned shirt.

Casually, you can still use the unbuttoned shirt or, as you've guessed, a crew-neck, fairly fitted, T-shirt. Rather than plain black or white, try a coloured one complementing the other colours you're wearing.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I prefer a shirt underneath. for casual a button-down.

5. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i got a light blue cashmere v-neck last christmas...i could never find anything to wear with it though, it seems that it's too light to match anything underneath it.

suggestions?

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

I normally don't like the look of a tie outlined in a lightweight sweater. So I won't advise you much on the biz cashz setting.
    But, don't restrict yourself to white and black undershirts. What color are the sweaters? Will help advise; but, say if I'm wearing a brownish one I'd wear a light blue or even light green tshirt underneath. Say it were a blue sweater I'd consider things like orange, brown, grey, yellow.

7. alebrady

alebrady Senior member

I normally don't like the look of a tie outlined in a lightweight sweater. So I won't advise you much on the biz cashz setting.
    But, don't restrict yourself to white and black undershirts. What color are the sweaters? Will help advise; but, say if I'm wearing a brownish one I'd wear a light blue or even light green tshirt underneath. Say it were a blue sweater I'd consider things like orange, brown, grey, yellow.

i also liked the notion of a shirt and tie underneath for dressier business casual - however, i absolutely hated the tie pressing against the sweater from underneath. i dont know if people that do this look have on a jacket (and make it possibly less noticeable) or just live with the unsightly bulging of the tie...perhaps my sweater is too fitted but it happens with pretty much any sweater ive tried

8. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

You could try a bowtie.

9. andyw

andyw Senior member

Skin.......................or Uniglo cotton button placket t shirt.

10. j

j Senior member Admin

A buttondown collar shirt is pretty standard. I don't know how lightweight you're talking, but the few times I've worn a tie under a sweater it hasn't been a problem. I don't wear huge thick ties though, either, or skintight sweaters (for the most part). Try a lighter weight tie, or maybe a knit.

I am not a fan of the crew neck t-shirt under v-neck sweater at all, personally. I look much better in shirts with a collar anyway.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like wearing graphic dress shirts--Holliday & Brown, etc.--with the collar outside.

I also prefer to tuck the sweater into the pants.