• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What does Leather repairer do, and do I want my leather jacket unwrinkeled?

tommboy

Reaction score
Hey guys I recently (2 months ago) got a great leather jacket from Hugo BOSS. I love it and get compliments on it all the time. I went back to the store recently and realized my jacket is really wrinkled compared to when I got it new. Even on the the front parts it seems to not be as 'ironed flat" as it used to be. I'm not sure if it's from wear and tear or what, I did get it wet a few times but didn't think much of it because there was nothing I could have done to stop rain lol.

My question is: Is it supposed to do this, and is this the look I should be going for? Or do I need to take it to a leather repair shop and get something done to it? Do normal leather jackets do this?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A leather jacket should look lived-in and not brand new. I wouldn't do anything about the wrinkles, they are part of the leather and make it's appeal.

A leather repairer is not likely to do anything about the wrinkles. They will re-stitch seams once they come undone, or dry clean the garment.

Leather can be ironed. Use a cool iron and protect the leather with brown wrapping paper. But the wrinkles will come back, they are part of the leather.

Honestly, leave those wrinkles well alone, they are just part of a leather garments charm.

Would you want your jacket to look like that?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For any work on a leather jacket, I would seek out someone with more specialized training than a "leather-repairer." In Vancouver, we have a fully-trained leather tailor, to whom I've taken several jackets for sleeve-shortening, shoulder-width reduction, etc. The work has been professionally-done. I would never take a leather jacket or coat of any value to a shoe-repair person, just because s/he works with leather.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 135 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 252 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.9%
  • 31 - 40