What does everyone look for in a wallet?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmoney711, Apr 23, 2013.

1. dupedd

dupedd Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a relatively inexpensive, quality well made SLIM bifold wallet. This may be the one, they look great.
    I pick up a belt from them as well. Great prices.

2. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

You should check out One Star Leather Goods on Etsy. Very simple yet attractive wallets and leather goods, all handcrafted by one guy in Los Angeles. He uses leathers from Horween and Hermann Oak, and he'll do custom orders. I just received an amazing bifold wallet from him yesterday, custom made from dark brown Horween Chromexcel. I posted pics and more info in this thread I started, but I'll repost the pics here:

Click to enlarge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suffice it to say, I'm extremely pleased with this wallet. I have been searching for a new wallet for almost a year, and this wallet is exactly what I've been looking for. I don't keep much in my wallet, but I still prefer a billfold over a card sleeve, as I like to keep a few bills on me and prefer back pocket carry. This wallet measures 4 1/4 x 3 3/8, and with 5 bills, 3 cards, and a few paper items in it, it's a little over a half inch thick. I hardly even notice it in my back pocket, and I'm sure it will only get thinner as it breaks in. The construction quality seems top-notch and even the thread is sourced from the state of Maine, so this wallet is 100% handmade in the USA of U.S. materials. It looks, feels, and smells fantastic, and I can't wait to break it in and show it off. I'm sure it will last for many decades to come. Totally satisfied, and I absolutely recommend One Star wallets. He's got some nice card sleeve/minimalist type wallets for those who prefer that style, too, and the prices are reasonable.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Ok, I'll eat the spam...

EDIT: pretty good looking stuff and cheap!

4. doublebb

doublebb Well-Known Member

5. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Spam? No spam. I'm not the proprietor of One Star, if that's what you were thinking, lol.:laugh: I have no connection to the guy whatsoever, other than being a genuinely satisfied customer and happy to share about my experience. It really is a nice wallet, and I appreciate the artisanal aspect, as I'm sure many others on SF would.

6. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

If I was to buy another wallet I would definitely go for something in a veg tanned leather like I did with the belt I bought 3 years ago. My girlfriend bought me this Jack Spade anchor wallet for christmas a few years back and Ive been using it ever since. It has aged quite a bit compared to these photos but it isnt really showing any signs of wearing out so I have no need to replace it yet.

[​IMG]

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

my wallet:

[​IMG]

8. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Jake Spade makes some good ones and they constantly have sales/coupon codes.

I'm pretty happy with my JS bifold wallet.

9. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

Been on a lookout for a wallet. Need something slim, that holds bills, coins and 5+ cards.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Coins?

edit: nevermind, saw that you aren't in america...other places actually have coins with value.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  11. jmoney711

jmoney711 Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking about going with a tanned colored wallet with Vachetta as the interior.
    This is due to the fact that I think these colors will age nicely over time, and create a nice patina.

Does anyone know the difference between tan, saddle tan, and british tan (London)?

12. VirtruviusR

VirtruviusR Senior member

RADICA CALF/Museum calf FTFW. Get to admire that beautiful tannage everytime you pull it out to part with some hard earned cash. Chicks dig it (actually I always get compliments on it from dudes -_- ).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  13. jmoney711

jmoney711 Member

That looks like great leather. Any info about it? Looks to me like regular aniline leather that has been distressed during tanning? Who makes them?

14. jmoney711

jmoney711 Member

What do you guys think about imagery, or embossed images in your wallets?

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

money i don't have