What does "Cocktail Attire" mean?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rajesh06, Feb 13, 2007.

1. HedgeFundHotSHot

HedgeFundHotSHot Senior member

cocktail attire at a cocktail party is different from that of a wedding cocktail reception.
    Unless you were invited to the reception, but not the wedding, keep the same ensemble you use for wedding.
    In the rare exception, you could pick up a cocktail dress from Goodwill and some gold glitter; mix the two.

2. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

oh i misread the post slightly - if you're going to the wedding then it's suit and tie

3. blackrover

blackrover Senior member

I have a Networking Social/Cocktail Party coming up this Monday and this should help. I have a hot date and should I try to coordinate with her or just surprise?

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have a Networking Social/Cocktail Party coming up this Monday and this should help. I have a hot date and should I try to coordinate with her or just surprise?
    I wouldn't try to coordinate with her. I'm never impressed when I see a couple that have obviously coordinated their attire. If it happens by chance, then fine; but I'd never do it on purpose.

5. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

It's after 6pm, so a dark suit, tie (with some pizzaz), great shirt. It shouldn't be a business suit. If you have a black suit, this is a perfect time, but all of this has been said.

However, definitely wear a suit.

What's a business suit?

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

What's a business suit?

Office pants plus matching coat.

7. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

Cocktail attire means (in protocol) dark suit (i.e. navy, charcoal, etc), shirt and tie, as opposed to dinner attire which will mean black tie dress. That is the classical acception for men. For ladies it means Little black dress (or something similar).

8. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

I always assumed it meant black tie.

9. codhead

codhead Senior member

This is what passes for "cocktail dress" in these parts :colgate:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

It is aprtetious way of saying 'lounge suit for the gentlemen and short dresses for the ladies.'

11. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Senior member

Interesting range of answers here - from white tie to lamp shade on your head ;). I think, a cocktail outfit should go beyond a business suit. Cocktail parties or receptions are fun and as such the outfits can be a little more colorful and outgoing. Maybe you want to read our article regarding cocktail attire for men, where we present three outfits that are perfectly adequate.

12. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme Member

All, i'll be volunteering next week at a fundraising dinner party/silent auction at the oklahoma western museum. the dress code for us volunteers is cocktail attire. i've searched and read some threads on cocktail attire. I've heard the term "fancy it up" a few times and heres my idea on what i might wear. Black suit with green thin pinstripes, peak lapels, 2button. with a pastel green open collar shirt. not sure on a pocket square yet. i also have a solid black suit and a charcoal grey suit for alternatives. what do you all think?

13. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

They are workable outfits. Personally, I'd do dark suit, shoes I can't really wear at work(dressy slip-ons or double monks) and wing it on shirt/ tie. Pretty much what I would wear hauling out the future ex wife to Chez Snooty for dinner.

14. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme Member

hmmm so charcoal or black pin stripe?

15. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Either suit works, depending on the event, I'd tweak the outfit. Which charity? Pink is the clor of breast cancer themed fundraisers, so I'd look to find a pink item for that. Both suits convey enough formality and elegance, if you rarely wear the pinstripe, go for it.

For shoes, I'd test drive a newly acquired pair of Lobb double monks, for shirt/ tie, off the top of my head typing this, white spread collared Zegna dress shirt I never wear for work, made from a voile twill (I usually stick to standard poplin for work), pink tie or oversized polka dots ( slightly whimsical) or no tie with a hot pink Borelli dress shirt I never wear at the office.

Only one caveat, if people you know professionally, express yourself, but show some restraint. They will remember if you look stupid. Bonus, lots of potential future ex wives do fundraisers to meet future ex husbands, dress accordingly.