• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does a bad fused suit (bubbling) look like?

scobell

Reaction score
I just had my made-to-measure suit delivered to my door.

After leaving it in the shower room for the steam to take away the wrinkles, this happened to the front of the suit.

Any idea what might have caused this bubbling in the fabric and in that location? (fused garment, bad quality fabric, improper handling from my part a.k.a. steam)

Thank you for your comments.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is from steaming. Suits should be pressed, not steamed.

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
Jefferyd,

Were you the one who posted other problems caused by steaming, even in canvassed clothing and in trousers as well as jackets? This might be a good place to discuss this.

Francisco

Reaction score
I heard shower room steaming is not really good for jackets. Especially the fused ones..

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
I don't have the expertise to carry on.

I was hoping you or another expert would explain. As I recall from earlier discussions, when a suit is made the ironing is an integral part of the construction. Simply steaming the suit destroys the considerable amount of tailoring involved in how it is pressed, and how that interacts with the sewing, fit of shoulders and back, etc. It might get rid of some wrinkles (don't know, never tried), but the damage done would require the attention of a tailor to set it right. Pressing, at least when done by people who know what they are doing, avoids these problems. But it is apparently also possible to ruin your fit and drape by incompetent pressing.

Jeffreyd gave pointers on how to touch up a suit in this thread

http://www.styleforum.net/t/88504/guide-to-touching-up-your-suit-without-wrecking-it

This was another that featured a discussion of how suits are made, which explained why bad pressing or steaming at all would undo what they tailor had done.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?97814-Suit-Wrinkle-Advice

A video from Anderson and Sheppard on pressing a coat. This is a guy who does this for a living, uses an assortment of surfaces, cloths, and brushes. He suggests being sparing in pressing, and recommends returning the suit to the tailor when it really does need to be pressed.

http://www.anderson-sheppard.co.uk/cloth-craft/films.html

Even before reading all this, I have left well enough alone. The suits really don't seem to wrinkle much, and they smooth out just being hung to recover. This works fine for travel. Now, knowing a little bit more, I am sure I don't know enough not to ruin a suit if I were to try steaming or ironing. I don't have any expensive bespoke Saville Row suits, so shipping my suits off to a tailor for pressing would be crazy. So I let them hang.

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score

This is from steaming. Suits should be pressed, not steamed.

What about shirts? I have put them on a hanger in the bathroom steam to smooth creases out, and I have even considered buying a washing machine with a steam function. Are there any negative effects from steam on shirts?

Latour

Reaction score
I just had my made-to-measure suit delivered to my door.

After leaving it in the shower room for the steam to take away the wrinkles, this happened to the front of the suit.

Any idea what might have caused this bubbling in the fabric and in that location? (fused garment, bad quality fabric, improper handling from my part a.k.a. steam)

Thank you for your comments.

I never heard of steaming a suit, it's always pressed with those large cloth commercial pressers.Getting a wool jacket damp And hot in a shower will pucker the fabric.Just hang wool and wrinkles come out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads