1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do you wear when you go out?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Apr 27, 2004.

1. gregory

gregory Well-Known Member

But it's precisely Ryan Philippe's excessive immaturity and irresponsibility and snobbishness and wealth at such a young age. [​IMG]

2. rayk

rayk Well-Known Member

Nice shoes, but they are bals, not bluchers.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I think it is all about Studio 54 which coincidentally relates to this query. Â Some jeans, a blazer, and a platinum bag lady wig anyone? But then I don't ever wear one outfit so i really cannot answer your question specifically. [​IMG] Andy with Edie

4. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

I wear the same thing to whatever night time venue I'm at, jeans... always jeans, mine are beat up PDC, Sneakers, and usually a tee-shirt, I've been rocking plain, white v-necks lately. Usually I'll wear a leather jacket over the shirt... I haven't been wearing my Cafe Racer jacket lately, they seen to be everywhere, instead I have a beat up, brown leather, Schott bomber jacket.

I NEVER wear slacks or dress shoes to clubs or bars. I'll sometimes wear a pair of chelsea boots though. Wearing the typical slacks, button down, and shoes is dorky. As LA Guy said, the places that require this dress are ghetto and you won't find a cool crowd there.

I won't ever go to a place that requires bottle service either. Their always packed with corporate dudes, tourists, and B&T people. It's best to go out on weeknights, you won't find any of the aformentioned people. Nothing's worse than partying with guidos and yuppies on the weekend.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

It's not really the actor, just the way he plays Valmont. I mean, with the Mansion in the heart of Manhattan, the perfect condition Black w/ dark tan interior Jaguar XK140 Roadster, the devilish charm, and of course the script with its wonderful one-liners that really make it a fantastic character.

Jon.

6. gregory

You mean: Sebastian?
    I just placed an order for the movie.

7. imageWIS

It's not really the actor, just the way he plays Valmont.
    You mean: Sebastian? I just placed an order for the movie.
    Well, Sebastian Valmont. Did you order the DVD or tape version? Jon.

8. gregory

DVD. How did he learn how to speak like that, with the accent?

9. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Funny, that is exactly who came to mind when I read LA Guy's comment. I wouldn't mind looking like Benicio...

What do I wear? thick soled, Italian shoes (Mantellassi, Santoni etc.) or boots, boot-cut jeans (Levi's premium usually,) one of my bolder dress shirts with the collar open, a cool belt (I've been really into wide leather D-ring belts lately.) In the summer I generally wear a cotton or linen sportcoat or unconstructed shirt-jacket over it all. In the winter I might wear a shearling coat, brown leather coat, or a cashmere sportcoat. I've got a black cotton/cashmere corduroy Cantarelli sportcoat that I wear year-around.

I've been looking for a slim, black velvet sportcoat and a nice cafe-racer jacket. Both great options for weekend wear.

10. big balla

big balla Active Member

Steve McQueen is my standard for cool

11. Mike C.

Get the H Hilfiger velvet blazer from this winter's line, it's inexpensive enough that you won't worry about the abuse it will take in clubs/bars. The styling is absolutely first class as well... ticket pocket, slim fit, side vents, and stitching on the lapel.

Continuosly check ebay for a Schott Cafe Racer jacket.

12. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

i agree 100% with those of you who said it's better to go clubbing on weeknights. it's a different breed who stays out till 4:00am on a wednesday. i also agree about not going to any clubs that have a dress code. that's the first signal that you're about to enter a lame, uptight, and/or ghetto club, the second signal being any security other than a doorman. i tend to wear suits when i go out. not because i'm dressing up, but because that's what i typically wear anyway. at the clubs i go to, it's very common to see guys in suits as well as guys in t-shirts and jeans and everything in between. if it's a dance club i'll leave my jacket in the car. a few of you have mentioned that you like to pair jeans with blazers when going out. i've never gotten used to this look. jeans will always be casual pants to me. to wear them with a dress shirt or blazer or leather soled shoes just seems like you're trying to pass them off as something they're not. it also screams '80s yuppie look to me. p.s that mini-thread within a thread about ryan phillipe sounded a little creepy to me. gregory, aspire to be yourself and no one else.

13. Mike C.

haha, I was thinking the same thing... lol.

14. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Well-Known Member

Ahhh, now we're talking. I tend to like under-stated actors. Guys like Phillipe are a little too self conscious for me. To me, cool is guys like McQueen. Benicio Del Toro. Clive Owen. Sam Rockwell.

15. imageWIS

Steve McQueen is my standard for cool
    Ahhh, now we're talking. I tend to like under-stated actors. Guys like Phillipe are a little too self conscious for me. To me, cool is guys like McQueen. Benicio Del Toro. Clive Owen. Sam Rockwell.
    McQueen is before my time. It is not necessarily Phillipe, the actor that is cool, but the character (and his wardrobe, car, house, etc...) he plays. In other words, I should be praising the scriptwriter that wrote the movie. It is the modern transcription of the famous original, which is impressive, not to mention making it a "teen" movie, which as we all know, they never turn out into above average. Jon. (And yes, my English composition professor already told me I use way too many commas) [​IMG]

16. MikeF

MikeF Well-Known Member

His character is cool? I seem to recall him being cruel, juvenile and egomaniacal, for the most part.

17. Sevcom

Sevcom Well-Known Member

Agreed--and Malkovich was better as Valmont in Dangerous Liaisons. Seriously, there are vastly better style icons than Phillippe. Oh right, the topic. Paper Denim or Levi's jeans, T-shirts I've worn the hell out of/slim dress shirts, waist-length jacket/track jacket/leather safari jacket (from DDC, it's pretty cool, if seldom worn--but it was cheap), trainers/boots. Seems like it's a uniform nowadays. Despite liking suits, I don't wear them all that often outside of work, though that probably will change when I move later this year.

18. imageWIS

Yeah, that persona is a type of cool. But, you must understand, just because something seems / is cool (To certain people ), does not mean it is right, or moral for that matter. None, the less...on screen it looks cool. Jon.

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Benicio del Toro and Steve McQueen. I definitely dropped the ball on that. Also, Robert Redford in his Cool Hand Luke days.

And yes, John Malkovich is much cooler than Ryan Phillipe in the same role. Malkovich gives the role a sense of real malevolence, whereas Ryan Phillipe in that role just strikes me as an spoiled punk kid who I could bitch slap into submission without breaking a sweat.

BTW, I think that if you do the suit thing when go out - it should definitely be a *very* dark color, if not actually black, quite slim fitting, and should be worn with boots or loafers (although I hate loafers) - definitely not balss or bluchs. Otherwise, you will look like some corporate sucker just off work.

20. imageWIS

Must we resort to violence? The nice thing about the character is that he does not need to resort to violence to meet his needs / wants. Instead of shooting everything in sight (a la Arnold) Valmont uses his mind, charm, etc... to achieve his goals.

Jon.