• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear on long haul flights?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At a minimum, I board and disembark wearing a coat & tie. I do, however, take advantage of the amenity pajamas (sweats) given out on the plane ... but only when sleeping.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
At a minimum, I board and disembark wearing a coat & tie. I do, however, take advantage of the amenity pajamas (sweats) given out on the plane ... but only when sleeping.

You must be flying a different airline then I am.... Or paying much more.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never traveled for business, always for vacation. I usually wear jeans, loafers, polo/ocbd and a cardigan.

Mountains

Reaction score
Hoody, t-shirt, jeans, and loafers.

Suits have their merits, but comfort isn't one of them.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mountains
Suits have their merits, but comfort isn't one of them.
You must try Anderson & Sheppard!

zillka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
sweatpants and loafers
i'm setting a new trend. fat midwesterners will copy me.

it has begun.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's for business and I have meetings or dinners upon arrival, then a blazer and chinos or a suit. If for pleasure, then casual jacket, chinos, and sport shirt.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like everything I take on a trip to be multi purpose. So just about anything I take I would also wear on the plane.

My most frequent attire is a jacket, jeans, rarely a tie, a pocket square, nice shoes. But lately I have been growing fond of wearing ties again. (probably some positive influence from around here and my wife). Maybe I'll startle my client on Monday and wear one on the plane when we head to NYC.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Jacket+tee+jeans or pants + boots. I wear the footwear and jacket that take the most space to reduce luggage. Recently I've been avoiding having anything that wasn't carry on.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+100 on the jacket with plenty of pockets. it might be the single most useful article of clothing for a long haul flight. i have this navy Loro Piana Roadster that is my go-to travel jacket:

1. it has four big pockets that i can stuff all my stuff in and snap closed. very important because you accumulate a bunch of loose **** that you have to get to quickly

2. the pockets also come in handy when going thru security. stuff my watch, wallet, blackberry, book, ipod, etc. in those pockets and send the whole thing thru the machine. a ton less hassle

3. the storm system makes it fairly stainproof, and great if you get off the plane and it is raining/snowing

4. it has one of those zip-out vests that make it good for a variety of temps

5. it is casual enough if i'm wearing jeans, but can do double duty to make any outfit dressier if needed

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Recently I've been avoiding having anything that wasn't carry on.
Unless formal attire is required ... this has been my modus operandi for more than thirty years.

henrikc

Reaction score
Since I'm just a student, I don't fly for business, so I'm usually wearing a pair of jeans with a slightly looser fit that usual, a polo and a couple of decent shoes. I throw on a light-weight jacket with two big pockets for iPod, wallet, phone etc.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most probably already know better ... so I mention this mostly for the young ones. Don't wear tight fitting shoes ... as feet swell on long flights.

Some years back ... I recall walking in my sock feet around CDG. It was almost an hour before I could get my new loafers back on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads