1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you wear on long flights?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Plutoburn, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

I find this to be true. I always wear dark jeans, oxford or chambray shirt, blazer or sport coat, and easily removable shoes (for security checkpoints). Even for 10+ hour flights.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Jeans and a polo for me. Comfort is a priority especially if I am trying to sleep. I can usually find an arrivals lounge, gym, or something if I want to shower and change after the flight.

3. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

You guys are nerds, I do 10+ hour flights twice a month and I wear nothing but sweatpants, sneakers, and fleeces. I change into a suit and brush my teeth at the airport.
    do you guys sleep in stiff jeans, button-downs, and blazers?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I've seen that as well, gross!! Seems to me that flip-flops or slippers are the ideal thing to be wearing on a long haul flight. That's what I do, put them in carry-on and change during the flight. After all one doesn't normally sleep wearing formal shoes.

How To Help Prevent DVT
    http://www.tellmehowto.net/howto/help_prevent_dvt_4099
    Second, consider wearing flight socks to help aid circulation of the blood during the flight. Ensure that any shoes that you may have on are not too tight as this can make circulation a little harder. Consider taking shoes off.

BTW on long distance sleeper buses, that have bunks not seats, they make you take your shoes off when boarding the bus and provide disposable paper slippers on request.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Sneakers, jeans, heavy knit and earplug

I often see people wearing sunglasses inside planes at night wtf?

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I wear my sunglasses at night because the sun never sets on being badass.

I'll admit most of my flights aren't 10+ hours, but I have no problem with a 6 hour flight in clothing a man can wear in public without being ridiculed. If your regular clothing is so uncomfortable then that's probably because it doesn't fit properly, not because of any inherent uncomfortability in those items you mention.

I've seen this a few times. It's almost always giant fat people with poor circulation who require that they take their shoes off. Of course, since they are giant whales their feet stink to high heaven. I've been successful in moving to an empty seat the few times I've been stuck next to one. I fear the day I'm on a booked flight and some leviathan decides to free up his toesies on a long flight. You might see me on the news that day.

8. snake

snake Senior member

I wore my dior 19cm when I flew to Europe and didn't have an issue with them at all. Jeans really aren't as uncomfortable as some make it out to be. Sure, sweats would be more comfortable, but those stay at home. If anything's going to be uncomfortable, it's going to be having to sit next to some butterball gent with a foul BO.

9. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Provided I'm not flying for business, I just wear the same thing I always wear: jeans, t-shirt/henley, sneakers (that slip or have zippers) or boots (side-zip or pull-on). I have a five-hour flight tomorrow, and it'll probably be an AA henley over an Alt A v-neck, Diesel jeans (still trying to see what I can get out of the turbo denim), MMM GATs (laces in, but loosely tied).

If the waistband on "real" pants is such an issue, you can always discreetly unbutton the top button while you're seated.

10. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I wear lounge pants and a t-shirt + sweater. I love it.

11. ceaton

ceaton Senior member

British Columbia by day, Washington by mail.
    If a daytime flight, jeans and a v neck sweater. If an overnight, CX F class pajamas.

12. Harold falcon

To those of you who wear garbage on flights; who would you rather sit next to, an asshole in smelly sweatpants or a person in big boy/girl clothes?

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Here's another question along a similar line. What does one wear on a 24-36 hour train or bus journey? If one wants to change in private, it normally means using a stinking dirty public toilet.

Why would sweatpants be smelly? If they're clean and freshly laundered they shouldn't stink.

Is anyone willing to be wearing a suit, dress shirt, tie and formal shoes for 24+ hours, including sleeping and without changing?

Bearing in mind a long haul flight, might be travelling to the airport, waiting for several hours in the terminal, maybe 12-16 hours on the plane, and then possible onwards travel upon arriving at the destination. The flight could be delayed/cancelled as well.

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Whoever takes up less space and doesn't try to talk to me.

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

16. Harold falcon

In my experience, fat people always wear sweatpants. So please to answer my question.

17. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

what i wear TO the flight is the same thing i wear to work, which is more or less the same thing i wear at home/on weekends. i.e, my everyday dress.

what i wear ON the flight are the airline-provided pyjamas, of course.... fav being lufthansa's van laack

18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

In my experience, your posts are pretty terrible. I already did.

19. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

If I'm taking a suit or sport coat I'll wear it on the plane with my big boy shoes.

Casual clothes are smaller and lighter so they fit more easily into a carry on.
    If checking a bag, they're also less expensive in case it gets lost and less critical in case it gets delayed.
    Plus a flight attendant will hang the coat for me so that's less wrinkles than packing.
    Looks good, feels good.

My wife suffers from dry eye and wearing glasses helps. Cabin atmosphere is quite dry. They might also want darkness undisturbed by an LCD screen or overhead light being turned on. DUH

20. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

So much hostility towards fatties.

I wear pajamas on long haul flights AND I take off my shoes. I am not fat. Deal with it.