• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you want from a Style Blog?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
similarly to nearly 100,000,000,000,000 humans I have long held the ambition to start a blog.

Initially I have built up a range of articles essentially detailing aspects of men's fashion. At this point all of the posts centre around suits and other formal accessories, but I'm keen to the project not to descend into a self-indulgent stream of consciousness.

With that in mind, I would like to ask the community what kind of a blog would provide the most value to you? My current articles centre around;
  • History of Item
  • Traditional use of Item
  • Current Trends Regarding Item
  • Suggestions for Use (Conservative. I do not pretend to have any insight into being "fashionable")

At this point in time I haven't really been able to find any blogs aimed at teaching beginners about separate articles of men's attire, but I am happy to be corrected.

So what do you want from a new blog? What aspects of other blogs do you like but struggle to find? Would it be safe for me to just not bother, because the market is flooded with quality offerings?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the list you've provided there are already multiple blogs detailing these ideas. If you want to start a new style blog you'll have to come up with something new, or come at it from a new angle.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i want industry insider information. what margins are like on products, how living conditions are like for workers, what's some typical industry bullshit

i also want to know more stuff like how raw materials are created (like leathers, fabrics) and what differences in qualities are noticeable and tangible

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pictures of scantily clad wiminz...

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Permanent Style is about bespoke, but I'd like to see some other bespoke blogs pop up. Something about different types of cloths, cuts from different houses, stitching techniques, etc. The market for the topics you've listed is already way over saturated, with many of them doing quite good jobs, but I believe the space for a blog about bespoke tailoring is still quite open.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I believe the space for a blog about bespoke tailoring is still quite open.

It will be hard to compete with JeffreyD in that field. Impossible if you're not a bespoke tailor yourself, which I don't think Blackhood is.

michael_legeek

Reaction score
Based on the articles you listed, your blog already sounds interesting to me. IMO there is not yet any surfeit of really informational men's clothing blogs, especially on the conservative-clothing side of things. Once you eliminate the fashiony "this season, it's snuff suede boots with your navy flannel trousers, and this season's approved Lad vodka is..." sorts of blogs, and the otherwise content-free "here's today's pic of some dude KILLING IT" photo-journals, the field is not, in my opinion, overfilled.

Originally Posted by Blackhood
At this point in time I haven't really been able to find any blogs aimed at teaching beginners about separate articles of men's attire, but I am happy to be corrected.

I would count A Suitable Wardrobe as one such.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something like Leather Soul Hawaii for bespoke tailoring -- includes pictures and pricing.
Originally Posted by chasingred
Permanent Style is about bespoke, but I'd like to see some other bespoke blogs pop up. Something about different types of cloths, cuts from different houses, stitching techniques, etc. The market for the topics you've listed is already way over saturated, with many of them doing quite good jobs, but I believe the space for a blog about bespoke tailoring is still quite open.
A&S has a rather good blog in this category.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love a blog full of great pictures of great outfits. A brief story around them, but a main focus on photographs. So less of rules and ways to tie your tie or to fold your pocket square, and more pictures of men being well dressed in different environments. Like eating on the patio of a cafe in a nice city, or walking through a park, etc. Things that can inspire others.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ You mean like The Sartorialist?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about devoting a small section to style on a budget - clothing that are stylish but can be had for cheap. Bespoke, Tom Fords, Pateks, EG etc are well and good but most people starting out cannot afford those items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads