1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use to shave?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Matt, Apr 19, 2006.

1. kayumochi

kayumochi Active Member

For a great shave I first put on Lectric Shave and get as close as I can with my Philips/Norelco Spectra. Then I put on either Mont Source shaving or oil King of Shaves shaving oil. If I go with Mont Source I don't use any cream/gel; I simply shave with a high quality razor with oil only. If I go with the King of Shaves I will put their shave gel on top of the oil. Shaving oil is such that I don't need any aftershave or any expensive crap. I think I get a pretty good shave for my money. Shaving first with an electric shaver really cuts down nicks, etc.

2. tiratela

tiratela Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a DE.. Which is the best to buy as a FIRST? I currently am using Somersets shave system (Oil and Gel) along with their Facial wash and Skin Cream.. with my M3 powers..

I know I can get a closer shave but have feared the DE's. 2-3 times a month I go to the Barber and get a straight edge shave along with a nice facial to break the monotony..

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Merkur Heavy Duty seems to be considered the best first DE razor.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...941/284057.htm

Javyn is better versed in The Ways of The Shavegeek than I, but I agree. My first DE was an HD, I love the little bugger. I cut myself less and don't get even a fraction of the burns and rashes my Sensor gave me.

5. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

i use a mach 3, burts bees bay rum shaving soap and a badger brush. or when im lazy ill just lather up some dr bronners and use that.

6. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I use a Trumper badger brush, Trumper's rose shaving soap, and Trumper's coral skin food before and after. I'm still using my old Gillette Sensor Excel as a razor.

7. Kid609

Kid609 Senior member

i use a razor and some shaving cream.

it works awesome.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

Trumpers Rose and CSF are good stuff. It can't beat Violet, but still, it's very good.

9. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

I use mach3 turbos but recently went back to my DE Merkur Futur.
    Just ordered some Feather blades, looking forward to (carefully) trying them out.
    Never heard of Derby before, have to look into those.

I use Aveeno shave gel. I've tried Trumpers, Musgo Real, and Taylor stuff. I like the simplicity
    of Aveeno.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Quick thin out with electric
    Then Sensor Excel

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

cold water and a straight razor

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

i use a razor and some shaving cream. it works awesome.
    Bah. I use a person called a barber. [​IMG]

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Kiss My Face shaving creams are really great, on sale on the website too. $1 for 4oz tube, $2 for 12 oz bottles. I like the soaps too.

14. tiratela

tiratela Well-Known Member

Got my Merkur DE in the Mail on Wednesday... Used it Thursday AM. Can you say WOW! Coupled with some Somerset's Shave Gel, this works wonders.. I'm hanging up the Mach-3..

I gotta find a little stand here in India, Just to display while not in use..

Thanks for all the suggestions..

15. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

cold water and a straight razor

Steve, for full effect, switch from straight razor to well-honed bayonet.

16. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

i use a merkur futur. sometimes a mach 3.

17. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

I use a Braun Activator electric razor. It's great. The shave is almost as close as my Mach 3 was. You are also susposed to shave dry with it which is nice because I can give myself a quick shave just before I go out.

18. muelleran

muelleran Senior member

I use a badger brush und normally the "Tabac Original" shaving soap. On weekends I use a Dovo straight razor - that's a century old popular German maker, so I am pretty sure that was how my grandfather shaved since about 1915.

19. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

As a person that came over from superfuture, I never thought that I would find a group that shared my rare love for classic shaving. I have not read this whole thread yet, but any of you members of badgerandblade.com, or shavemyface.com?

I use:
    -Merkur HD Double Edge
    -Colonel Conk Badger Brush
    -Decleor latherless shave cream, Trufitt & Hill 1805 or Lime, Florena, and I have a years worth (literally, at least, of samples I wrote companies for)
    -Anthony Logistics Astringent Aftershave (as a toner)
    -Brave Soldier Code Blue aftershave
    -ohh, for a wash pre-shave I use either Anthony Logistics or if I need a scrub, Molten Brown at the moment.

Cheers, and if you have not tried a real cream/soap and a DE Razor, you owe it to yourself.

20. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

As a person that came over from superfuture, I never thought that I would find a group that shared my rare love for classic shaving. I have not read this whole thread yet, but any of you members of badgerandblade.com, or shavemyface.com?

I use:
    -Merkur HD Double Edge
    -Colonel Conk Badger Brush
    -Decleor latherless shave cream, Trufitt & Hill 1805 or Lime, Florena, and I have a years worth (literally, at least, of samples I wrote companies for)
    -Anthony Logistics Astringent Aftershave (as a toner)
    -Brave Soldier Code Blue aftershave
    -ohh, for a wash pre-shave I use either Anthony Logistics or if I need a scrub, Molten Brown at the moment.

Cheers, and if you have not tried a real cream/soap and a DE Razor, you owe it to yourself.

Javyn and I are members at shavemyface.com. Don't know for sure but there must be others. Welcome!