What do you think of this "Zegna" suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by subterranean, Oct 16, 2006.

1. subterranean

subterranean Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-100-ORIGINAL...QQcmdZViewItem

I've been searching for a suit for a while now on ebay, and this one is very close to what I need in terms of measurements. Do you guys think this is legit? And, I'm assuming that this is Zegna cloth only (from the label). Is it worth it?

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't care for it. As it's labeled only as Zegna cloth, there's no way to say much about the construction for certain. I assume, though, that it's fused. The keyhole in the lapel is certainly ugly, and suggests that shortcuts have been taken. The pickstitching is very conspicuous, and the use of what appears to be a contrast color thread is, IMO, tacky.

In terms of cut, I don't like the very high two-button. Elevate the top button too high and it no longer can act as a fulcrum when the jacket is buttoned. It also dates the suit.

For $350, you can get a brand-name suit, and one with far fewer red flags and question marks.

All my opinion, of course.

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

You're tossing away your money buying that thing. The cloth has probably been abused by substandard manufacturers.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Don't bother. I've seen "Zegna cloth" suits before and they were universally terrible.