• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this vintage Dior tie?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I inherited this tie from my grandfather, a very elegant man, 12 years ago and have worn it only once. I believe it's from the early 1970s (it's 4" wide) and I rather like it beyond its obvious sentimental value. The silk is very nice with lots of texture and different weaves in the silk (herringbone, twill...) in addition to the varying patterns you can see. Colors are dark navy and silvery white, with red dots in the medallions. The label reads in French: This tie is number 12 from an exclusive series of 29.

Would you wear this tie and with what?

cd1aub9.jpg

cd2aee8.jpg

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That has wonderful amount of character. To really make it work, though, I would think you'd have to stick to a very subdued outfit around it- grey suit, solid shirt, white ps.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. I agree that it's a pretty bold tie and probably not one I'd have bought for myself but the colors are right to make it work with an outfit like you propose. What about a blue blazer and charcoal slacks? Too much? Anyone else?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe I'm just shy, but that's too much pattern for me. My reflexive response would be to tuck it in with a grey 3-piece and a white ps. That way it has impact, but won't distract.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting, but way too much going on for my taste. Also I never wear ties over about 3.5" wide, so even if I liked it, I'd have to alter it.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Thanks for the comment. I agree that it's a pretty bold tie and probably not one I'd have bought for myself but the colors are right to make it work with an outfit like you propose. What about a blue blazer and charcoal slacks? Too much? Anyone else?
I think, although somehow to my eye the colors in the tie don't lend themselves as much to navy as to grey. Hard to tell without seeing it in person though.

Reaction score
It's a bit busy for my taste. Then again, even a simple paisley makes me nervous, even without the three other patterns involved here.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually had a few ties by Dior that were similar. They were gifts and I didn't wear them much.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I would wear it to an evening event that is festive, with a dress code that calls for something short of black tie; with a black or midnight blue suit, and a discreet shirt and accessories.

In short, an exquisite tie for special occasions - I have seen similar patterns by Versace and Prada but those were not executed nearly as well as your tie.

wldthistle

Reaction score
Very nice... If I saw one of its siblings on ebay, I'd probably bid.

Kasper

Reaction score
That is an interesting pattern. I have a tie from my uncle made by Arrow that looks similar to this.

wldthistle

Reaction score
I really need to get off this board. Now I'm bidding on ties on ebay.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wldthistle
I really need to get off this board. Now I'm bidding on ties on ebay.

I actually think ties are one of the best things to buy off ebay, beacuse once you have seen a photo, its pretty much a known quantity. So long as the seller is honest about the shape its in, and you can get an accurate enough idea of the colors, all you have to be surprised about is the hand (and if you know enough about materials, you can get a ballpark idea of that too). Not so with most clothing items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics