Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What do you think of this sport coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by farangzookzon, Apr 7, 2006.

1. farangzookzon

farangzookzon Member

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Its alright, somewhat boring.

3. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

The buttoning point is pretty low for a modern 2-button, but if you like it and the brand is a known quantity to you (to me it isn't), why not?

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

It's a fully canvassed jacket from a quality maker in a somewhat interesting yet conservative pattern. If the price is right, sounds like a good deal. Southwick is one of those makers that offers good quality at a fair price - especially on discount.

5. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I think I looked at this and liked it in the print catalogue - I am slightly less enamored of it in the online photo.

IIRC, it is around $300, which is not too bad!

6. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

I think this jacket was backordered as of a few days ago; I put in an order for a 40S, so we'll see if I get it. I rarely see a 40S cut to a 29" length, so I jumped at the opportunity.

I think it's a great pattern for the office. Plus, with the 10% SF discount (click link at top of page), it's a pretty good deal. If I were to buy a Southwick from my main menswear store, I'd be paying a few hundred more, and they hardly ever carry my size.

7. farangzookzon

farangzookzon Member

I think this jacket was backordered as of a few days ago; I put in an order for a 40S, so we'll see if I get it. I rarely see a 40S cut to a 29" length, so I jumped at the opportunity.

I think it's a great pattern for the office. Plus, with the 10% SF discount (click link at top of page), it's a pretty good deal. If I were to buy a Southwick from my main menswear store, I'd be paying a few hundred more, and they hardly ever carry my size.

Thank you all so much for your informative and prompt responses.

8. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

The buttoning point is pretty low for a modern 2-button, but if you like it and the brand is a known quantity to you (to me it isn't), why not?

Where do you think the buttoning point would be on a 'classic' two button? Closer to the bold horizontal stripe above where the button on this one sits? Or closer to the horizontal stripe above that one?

I have some older sportcoats I really like, but that I don't wear anymore because the buttoning point (I think) makes them look a bit dated. Now I want to to buy only more or less classically-styled sportcoats, so I don't have to chuck them again in a couple of years.

I like the coat, BTW.

9. farangzookzon

farangzookzon Member

Where do you think the buttoning point would be on a 'classic' two button? Closer to the bold horizontal stripe above where the button on this one sits? Or closer to the horizontal stripe above that one?

I have some older sportcoats I really like, but that I don't wear anymore because the buttoning point (I think) makes them look a bit dated. Now I want to to buy only more or less classically-styled sportcoats, so I don't have to chuck them again in a couple of years.

I like the coat, BTW.

Thanks, ordered and on the way!

10. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

The sweater is somewhat hip. Doesnt really go with the jacket.
    I prefer the sweater to the jacket but the jacket is certainly respectable.

11. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I think into the square above the only it currently resides in would be about right.

The low buttoning point is an unfortunate affectation that Armani got most American companies to copy in the 1980s until the present. A jacket that buttons about at about the 3-4 line in an abdominal 6-pack (or about 1-2" above the navel) will be stylish forever.

12. Horace

Horace Senior member

The low buttoning point is an unfortunate affectation that Armani got most American companies to copy in the 1980s until the present. A jacket that buttons about at about the 3-4 line in an abdominal 6-pack (or about 1-2" above the navel) will be stylish forever.

It looks like a standard Southwick 2 button cut to me, which does button about 2" above navel.

I think the jacket is nice. Better even that it's boring.