• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what do you think of this situation?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, so this guy says hello to me on a flight on the way to a tradeshow - we met at another trade show, and we have common friends. he is in a similar job to mine, for a similar company, 25 years older than me. he is new to the position, and has little experience internationally, and my subordinate has helped him out with his trip, getting him a hotel room with my group and a few other things. he is traveling with his wife to the trade show, first time in Dubai. anyway, I give him a ride to the hotel, and sort of look after him for the first two days, and buy him and his wife dinner, as he tags along with my group.

I had bought a bunch of local SIM cards, and he needed one, so I sold him one at cost, he came up to my room and paid me, pulling his wad of cash (about $200) out of his pocket to count out the money.

so here's the thing - the next day at breakdfast I see him and he says, first thing - "hey, did I leave my money in your room last night?" I said "no, but if you had I would have told you before you asked me, don't you think?"

later, it turned out his wife had it.

anyway, I found it more than a little insulting, and have effectivly cut off the help tap. I am not mad at him, I just found it insulting and don't think that I want to help him anymore.

what are your thoughts?

Bruce9241

Reaction score
Don't think too much.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he felt you just forgot. I would not sweat it.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel that this is the best of the four threads on this topic.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I feel that this is the best of the four threads on this topic.

+1
It's the subtle differences that make it work for me.

Seriously, to the OP, it sounds like you're making a little too much of it. If you'd been the one who'd lost the cash, wouldn't you have asked? Why is it insulting exactly? It sounds like you've been a nice guy to him so far, and it's no big deal if you don't want to keep helping him, but I don't see why you feel insulted.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It seems like he's a bit scattered, and I very much doubt he meant anything by it. He probably just has no idea WTF is going on in various parts of his consciousness.

flashback

Reaction score
You're thinking way too much about it. For all he knows, he left it there and you didn't notice it, so unless brought to your attention you may not even realize its there. There is nothing insulting about this.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
It seems like he's a bit scattered, and I very much doubt he meant anything by it. He probably just has no idea WTF is going on in various parts of his consciousness.

globe - I agree with this. Who knows where his mind is at.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you are only sensitive about it because it was cash? Wouldnt you ask someone if you thought you may have left a hat / gloves / phone in their room?

K

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, the reason I asked was that I felt I might be overly sensitive - and the trouble is that there are a lot of people here right now who want to make me happy, so if I seem to be mad at him, they all are acting like he is the devil.

Star

Reaction score
Look at the bright side. He could have said "hey, did I leave my franger in your room last night?"
laugh.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
yeah, the reason I asked was that I felt I might be overly sensitive - and the trouble is that there are a lot of people here right now who want to make me happy, so if I seem to be mad at him, they all are acting like he is the devil.

Its good that you can recognize when you may be being overly sensitive.

For some reason you initially took a liking to this guy / decided that it was worth helping him. Is this really a big enough indiscretion that at best you withdraw your assistance, or at worst other people start to ostracize him?

K

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Its probably nothing GT, I wouldn't think much of it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are totally over-thinking the situation. It is his first time in Dubai, doing a new job, etc etc...So he is probably flustered and probably meant nothing by it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads