• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this peacoat (Guess) and shoes?

FoxTheSly

Reaction score
This is my first post/thread here, so I hope all goes well!

Just two purchases I was thinking of making for the upcoming winter months.. The peacoat has a nice slim-cut to it, and the shoes - well, I think the suede will look interesting with dark denim or perhaps black cotton slacks. Yay, or Nay?

41jx%2BKHeAOL._AA280_.jpg

7769-281859-p.jpg

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
My first thoughts.

To the coat:
Hmmmm...nice coat.

To the shoes:
Ewe...ugly shoes.

I'm being a bit harsh on the shoes I guess, but I'm not a sneakers fan to start with. Although these are certainly better than most of the abominations that people are putting on their feet these days - running shoes are for running, and only for running! I don't see why you wouldn't pair that with some sleek Chelsea boots, maybe in a very dark brown or black. Also, I don't know where you're from, but if you plan on going anywhere in the snow with those, you'll ruin them.

Back to the coat: I like everything about it, well, except maybe the lapels, they look a little over the top, but other than that, it's very nice.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
While suede shoes were "in style" for a bit in regards to GQ, I have seen handsome gents wearing them in the city with style. Unfortunately, they are superbly unmanly and I would put their rank with lasting impression right there with square-toed shoes. Good for the second, but mostly money wasted on an extremely fast passing trend.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that coat from Guess? I like it. I picked up a slim cut Mark Jacobs peacoat for $380 at Nordstrom but the sleeves where too tight around my arms and I couldn't wear anything more than a t-shirt under it. I returned it, but they're still 33% off, so you might find one. I wasn't crazy about the leather under the collar.

StylingUK

Reaction score
I bought a Guess peacoat last year (not the same one as in picture) and it was quite big.

whistler

Reaction score
I like the coat. Although it's slightly different, I've been looking for one like this for a while:

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Is that coat from Guess? I like it. I picked up a slim cut Mark Jacobs peacoat for $380 at Nordstrom but the sleeves where too tight around my arms and I couldn't wear anything more than a t-shirt under it. I returned it, but they're still 33% off, so you might find one. I wasn't crazy about the leather under the collar.

That's why I throw on the thickest sweater I have before shopping for winter coats.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the cut and length of the coat, but I can't quite get over the pockets. They look weird and mess up the silhouette.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StylingUK
I bought a Guess peacoat last year (not the same one as in picture) and it was quite big.

+1.. I searched for ages and was surprised because I found some really nice ones at Geuss but I found taht they did fit quite big (too big for me to buy)

KA1555

Reaction score
I have a Ralph Lauren pea coat that I bought this season, and although the sleeves are just a tad bit longer than I'd prefer, I still love the thing. It's the perfect cut (for me at least) - not TOO slim (like some of the Marc Jacobs stuff is for me), but not baggy like I find most coats on me to be.

Chicago Guy

Reaction score
Definitely love the coat....the shoes are not me, but that's just my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads