• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of THIS outfit?

J.T. Thunderbird

Reaction score
As I saw a couple other titles being the very same, I thought I'd separate myself from the bunch with an all caps "THIS". Anyhoo, I don't know jack about suits, so I got a couple questions. What occasion best suits an outfit like this? Also, what do you call that pattern?
246860155_eb0ab17458.jpg
I'm on the slim side, so if I were to create such an outfit, do I need to do anything special?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think unless you're T.I. doing a photo shoot, it would look marsupialed.

JordanH.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's "Glen Plaid" or some kind of novacheck-like pattern (similar to Burberry's signature pattern). I don't know what you mean by "anything special". care to elaborate?

as far as the occasion, something very casual, informal. you see what i mean?

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a very fashionable outfit - turtleneck, purple even, high rise on the trouser, rather large watch, narrow lapels - so something a little more glamorous than the banking world, maybe advertising.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I think unless you're T.I. doing a photo shoot, it would look marsupialed.

I disagree, the only thing that makes it look marsupialed is the overly lopsided hat, the lollipop (or whatever it is in his mouth) and of course the bike in the background. Otherwise the outfit is very spot on. The suit is perfectly tailored. The colors, although not traditional, work very well. The only problem I see is that replicating this look would probably cost over $1000 easy. Not even counting the shoes or sunglasses. If you are fairly new to suits and shoes, I would strongly suggest buying something more classic like dark navy, or dark grey, and save the brown (looks like glen plaid) for your 5th or 6th suit after you know what brands you like and fit you well, what materials are good or not, and which tailor you would trust with your "expensive" purchases. I'm afraid to say that if you want to jump straight from jeans and sneakers to the outfit you posted, there is a big chance of failure. This is not to be derogatory but just looking out.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J.T. Thunderbird
so if I were to create such an outfit, do I need to do anything special?
I think you need to keep a strong desire to maintain your pimping career despite the loss of your driver's license.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This outfit really is nothing new. One, it looks very 1970's, but even in fashion terms it was done during Tom Ford's last season for YSL Rive gauche. If you like these sorts of outfits, look around online for links to that collection... you'll see it done right.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It works for nightlife wear, or weekend walking around town wear. It does not work for the office unless you are in an artsy profession. If you have lots of money to burn, I actually like the look a lot. It's just not something that you can wear to the office.

Opermann

Reaction score
I think you could pull it off, but only while riding the bike.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads