• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this coat? Is it too GQ?

nytek

Reaction score
The GQ description was more because I have heard comments from people that I am too GQ, so it was more tongue in cheek - not intended to spark this whole discussion on the relevance of GQ.

Anyway, I genuinely just wasn't sure about the jacket, but at under a $100, I figured it was worth a shot. So I posted it here to get your opinions on it. To the poster who also tried this on (regarding the material), I purchased it with the idea of a fall/spring coat, not a heavy winter coat, which it definitely is not.

So the consensus seems to be that the coat is nice, but the fit is too big. I'll look into getting it tailored (sleeves shortened and waist taken in), but prices in NYC can run pretty high for this sort of stuff; I don't want to end up paying more for the tailoring than I did for the coat. Anyone have recommendations for a good tailor in Manhattan who can do this type of stuff and any idea on price. I think if it's $50 or less, it may be worth it.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I find that it is best to not consider how a coat might fit with a suit jacket underneath. A suit jacket shouldnt have a whole lot of padding at the shoulder or at least it shouldnt have enough padding where you have to go a size up in your outerwear. This is just from my experience...

That's what i thought when I bought my slim-fit size 40 top coat from Benetton. I usually wear a size 36 suit jacket, and when I tried on a size 38 Benetton top coat without a suit jacket, I thought it fit me too well. So I played it safe and went ahead and purchased a size 40. I can wear it over my suit jacket if I adjust (tuck and pull) the coat for 5 minutes. Needless to say, I'm stuck with a topcoat (2 sizes larger!) that I can't even wear over my suit. but it does look nice!

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah we are shocked if the fabric drapes an inch over the shoulder here, but in the real world, most people will notice the nice pattern and the fact that it's a dressy piece. you'll stand out well among the other men in clothing with NBA teams on it. I say keep the coat, wear it for a season or two, if you need to upgrade in the future, there are plenty of other options out there and you'll know what's better for you then.

mert54

Reaction score
I actually really like it, you wear it well. Get it. Get it.

Tardek

Reaction score
The shoulders are too big, for sure. There's like an inch, inch and a half sticking out there.

But the look is nice.

nytek

Reaction score
Already have it. It's more a question of whether I should keep it or return it. I guess I'm leaning towards keeping it, pending on checking some tailoring prices for the alterations suggested.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
"too GQ"?

"metro"?

People still use those terms?

You'd be surprised. The concept of well-dressed men hasn't come to the US yet...

chizll

Reaction score
The coat is very nice. Get it tailored. Once you start wearing it, I'm sure that you'll be getting a lot of compliments and there's nothing wrong with being GQ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads