1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of this coat? Is it too GQ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nytek, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Razele

Razele Senior member

GQ would be alot more useful if it wasn't extremely beholden to it's advertisers. 90% of the things in a GQ magazine are useless, even for those starting.

It's a very feminine version of mens wear, colour and body shape have no dictation on cut, cloth and style in GQ's eyes. I can remember when they were pushing slim lapel one button suits.

Mens ex is a great magazine, apparently. In australia, mens style is pretty good, tasteful, budget options, themes with different cuts and colours. The photo shoots are very 'themed' which is awesome - they did a great escape themed one.

Flusser should make a magazine.

2. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

The shoulders look a bit too wide for you, but it may work with a jacket underneath (is that how you would wear it?). I think with shortened sleeves and some waist suppression (not sure what that would run to tailor, but say $50ish) it will work. For jeans without a jacket, the shoulders may be an issue, but it's a nice enough coat.

Seriously, terms like too "metro/GQ" make you sound pretty insecure. Look around you, you live in New York City, does anyone worry about that? Oh, and why do you say business casual? You could wear that with a suit.

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I think GQs purpose is to help the uninformed masses, to give them a starting point on stlye and fashion matters. It was my guide when I first became interested in dressing better.

Is this site your ref. for style matters, or is there a publication that does a better job than GQ? I am still learning so I try to take any info that seems relevent.

That may have been true 15+ years ago, but now it's just an magazine for advertisers. The fact that you think it is for the "uninformed masses" truly conveys how sorry the state of menswear is nowadays. It's truly the blind leading the stupid.

4. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Your coat looks good on you. It's not suppose to look or fit like it's made my Thom Browne?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. anonomouse

anonomouse Member

I would say it is too big. but I live in Sweden and w e like our clothes tight. In any case go to your tailor build a relationship. it's incredible what a 10 dollar adjustment can do to clothes you though were to big for you! I've saved hundreds by going to tailors!

6. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

Whats wrong with GQ?

The thing with GQ, or to me any "fashion" magazine, is that it's hard to fill an entire magazine every month with any real advice or substance without just repeating yourself in every single issue/season (hence all the ads, so that readers can observe current "trends").

Therefore they write about arbitrary made up bullshit (ie 17 magazine or something with "37 pieces of shit with flowers on them!") and also blatantly contradict themselves all the time (like the pocket square thing). The contradiction thing wouldn't be such a big deal if they didn't state everything as gospel. The last time I read GQ everything in it was stated like a command, as if I would be shot on sight if I wore anything other than a white pocket square or dared to wear a vest or cummerbund with a tux.

That being said, it's still an amusing magazine to flip through when my library has a copy.

7. crpz32

crpz32 Senior member

It is way too big without a suit jacket underneath, but it might be fine if he wears it over one.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Nice looking coat.

9. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

It is way too big without a suit jacket underneath, but it might be fine if he wears it over one.

I find that it is best to not consider how a coat might fit with a suit jacket underneath. A suit jacket shouldnt have a whole lot of padding at the shoulder or at least it shouldnt have enough padding where you have to go a size up in your outerwear. This is just from my experience...

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

"too GQ"?

"metro"?

People still use those terms? Is that kinda like still wearing square toed shoes?

Clearly more f33r of teh ghey. [​IMG]

11. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

The GQ description was more because I have heard comments from people that I am too GQ, so it was more tongue in cheek - not intended to spark this whole discussion on the relevance of GQ.

Anyway, I genuinely just wasn't sure about the jacket, but at under a $100, I figured it was worth a shot. So I posted it here to get your opinions on it. To the poster who also tried this on (regarding the material), I purchased it with the idea of a fall/spring coat, not a heavy winter coat, which it definitely is not.

So the consensus seems to be that the coat is nice, but the fit is too big. I'll look into getting it tailored (sleeves shortened and waist taken in), but prices in NYC can run pretty high for this sort of stuff; I don't want to end up paying more for the tailoring than I did for the coat. Anyone have recommendations for a good tailor in Manhattan who can do this type of stuff and any idea on price. I think if it's $50 or less, it may be worth it.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

12. crpz32

crpz32 Senior member

I find that it is best to not consider how a coat might fit with a suit jacket underneath. A suit jacket shouldnt have a whole lot of padding at the shoulder or at least it shouldnt have enough padding where you have to go a size up in your outerwear. This is just from my experience...

That's what i thought when I bought my slim-fit size 40 top coat from Benetton. I usually wear a size 36 suit jacket, and when I tried on a size 38 Benetton top coat without a suit jacket, I thought it fit me too well. So I played it safe and went ahead and purchased a size 40. I can wear it over my suit jacket if I adjust (tuck and pull) the coat for 5 minutes. Needless to say, I'm stuck with a topcoat (2 sizes larger!) that I can't even wear over my suit. but it does look nice!

13. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

yeah we are shocked if the fabric drapes an inch over the shoulder here, but in the real world, most people will notice the nice pattern and the fact that it's a dressy piece. you'll stand out well among the other men in clothing with NBA teams on it. I say keep the coat, wear it for a season or two, if you need to upgrade in the future, there are plenty of other options out there and you'll know what's better for you then.

14. mert54

mert54 Senior member

I actually really like it, you wear it well. Get it. Get it.

15. Tardek

Tardek Senior member

The shoulders are too big, for sure. There's like an inch, inch and a half sticking out there.

But the look is nice.

16. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

Already have it. It's more a question of whether I should keep it or return it. I guess I'm leaning towards keeping it, pending on checking some tailoring prices for the alterations suggested.

17. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

"too GQ"?

"metro"?

People still use those terms?

You'd be surprised. The concept of well-dressed men hasn't come to the US yet...

18. chizll

chizll Member

The coat is very nice. Get it tailored. Once you start wearing it, I'm sure that you'll be getting a lot of compliments and there's nothing wrong with being GQ.