What do you think of this coat? Is it too GQ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nytek, Jan 13, 2009.

1. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

I got this at a pretty deep discount, but not sure if I can pull off the color and the style (25 year old in finance in NYC). Is this a little too GQ or metro? What do you think of the fit? Does it only go with business casual, or would it work with jeans? Here are some pictures. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Had you bought a size that fit you I would say that its a nice coat. You would have been able to wear it casually or dressy... had it fit you.

3. STYLE_ADDICT

STYLE_ADDICT Well-Known Member

+1 ^^. You could have sized down 1, and maybe even had it tailored beyond that. Nice coat though.......I think you could pull off casual and bussiness dress with this. Banana Republic??

4. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

Well it is a size Small from Banana Republic which came out to $80 (sticker price of $250). I don't believe they make an extra small, so I can't purchase anything smaller. Is it worth getting tailored, because I assume that would be expensive - probably more than the price of the coat.

5. unjung

unjung Senior member

I'm not sure the size is off. It may be appropriate if you were ever to wear it over a suit coat. Certainly this is the reason I own a fairly large car coat. I would have the waist tailored, however.

6. STYLE_ADDICT

STYLE_ADDICT Well-Known Member

Well it is a size Small from Banana Republic which came out to $80 (sticker price of $250). I don't believe they make an extra small, so I can't purchase anything smaller. Is it worth getting tailored, because I assume that would be expensive - probably more than the price of the coat.

Get it tailored. The result will be worth the price paid. Look at it this way.....Even if you pay $50.00 in tailoring fees (which I doubt for what would need to be done) you still have a coat that in total cost you $130.00 which would have cost you $250.00 had you paid retail.

If you plan on wearing a blazer/suit under it, make sure you bring one when you are measured. Even with something underneath it can still be tailored to fit better. Fit is everything.

7. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

Fantastic coat. I would not hesitate to wear it.

8. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Look at the first pic, especially his right side. It seems clear to me that the coat is sagging off his shoulder. He had a from behind pic that showed the same thing but it's gone now (for reasons unknown).

Not worth it to have it tailored, imo.

9. Gony

Gony New Member

I think that coat is a little bit big.
    but if you wear sportscoat inside of coat, not bad.

10. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

"too GQ"?

"metro"?

People still use those terms? Is that kinda like still wearing square toed shoes?

11. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Gentlemen's Quarterly hasnt been relevant since way before you were born.

12. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Gentlemen's Quarterly hasnt been relevant since way before you were born.

I have grown to hate it when people tell me that I look "very GQ"! I feel like the compliment loses its validity because if you use that phrase you have no idea what looks good anyway. [​IMG]

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I tried that BR coat several months ago. Material is a bit thin and the price a bit high at full retail. At the price you paid it would make a fantastic Spring and Fall coat. It does still seem a little large on you. Take it to a decent tailor and discuss what can be done to make it fit.

14. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

Whats wrong with GQ?

15. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Whens the last time you ever followed style advice from GQ? I remember one month they were telling me to do all kinds of puffs and points with my pocket square, they also told me silk it must be silk and then next month a plain white tv fold in linen only.... really?