• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this Barantani briefcase?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/8...aultDept=False

What do you think of this leather briefcase for a beginning lawyer? I'm looking for something that can carry a 15.4" computer, documents, and maybe a large book or two. I looked around and the alternatives seem to be some Kenneth Cole or Samsonite numbers that end up in Filene's Basement or Century 21.

Is it any less professional looking to have a case with a strap? This one doesn't, and I thought that might be less convenient.

MikeF

Reaction score

deaddog

Reaction score
As a working litigator, you need two bags: your daily briefcase and a larger litigation bag. Your daily should be smaller - the Barantini looks fine. As for a litigation bag, I have tried them all and settled on a inexpensive soft-sided (ballistic) model. I got mine at OfficeMax for about $50. You can stuff more into it and it adds less weight than the leather one. While others swear by the wheeled ones, I often use mine while travelling and find that I cannot handle two wheeled cases (luggage for clothes + lit bag). If my practice was primarily local I would probably go for a wheeled one. But, the key point remains is that a lit bag is neither necessary nor desirable for a daily briefcase.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
You might also keep an eye on this seller, who liquidates overstock/seconds of Atlas and Schlesinger bags on ebay. It's the same company that makes the old school litigator bag linked above.

MikeF

Reaction score
As a working litigator, you need two bags: your daily briefcase and a larger litigation bag. Your daily should be smaller - the Barantini looks fine. As for a litigation bag, I have tried them all and settled on a inexpensive soft-sided (ballistic) model. I got mine at OfficeMax for about $50. You can stuff more into it and it adds less weight than the leather one. While others swear by the wheeled ones, I often use mine while travelling and find that I cannot handle two wheeled cases (luggage for clothes + lit bag). If my practice was primarily local I would probably go for a wheeled one. But, the key point remains is that a lit bag is neither necessary nor desirable for a daily briefcase.

I agree with this advice in theory, but find that I rarely am carrying so little that I can get away with using my "daily briefcase".

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's never occurred to me to consciously seek out a real litigation bag, but I'll keep that in mind. I've seen more senior lawyers carry three or four each of cheaper versions of those for commercial arbitration work... for one day sessions.

I think I just need the elegant leather "daily" case for now, as the real litigation case would be unwieldy for routine meetings. Thanks for the link to Atlas and Schlesinger; this topic has come up a number of times but I never heard of overstocks for these brands.

I rather like the models with straps on top and the shoulder strap from Swaine Adeney that kolecho has been discussing more than the styling of the one I've linked. I guess I'll have to spend at least $200 if I want a case that will last a few years (not SA, I mean).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was exactly what caught my eye when I clicked the link as well, but SF has influenced me to look for a brown case that will age nicely. Sigh.

Funny that I seem to like those bags labeled "accountant" bags with straps, rather than the "brief bags"

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Keep watching. A tan belting or a coffee version of that bag may come up. It depends on how big of a hurry you're in.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's so special about belting?

Parenthetically, I think the retail price of Barantani is rather overstated by STP.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FINEST-GENUINE-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Nothing says prestige like a crocodile briefcase.
crackup[1].gif

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased this bag in Coffee from this seller 3-4 months ago. The bag is a little on the small side, but I recommend both the seller and Atlas belting leather. Purchased an Atlas leather portfolio from her the following week because I was so pleased.

If you ask her if she can accomodate a particular item in an alternate color, it's very likely that she will be able to set you up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads