What do you think of this Barantani briefcase?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Sep 9, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/8...aultDept=False

What do you think of this leather briefcase for a beginning lawyer? I'm looking for something that can carry a 15.4" computer, documents, and maybe a large book or two. I looked around and the alternatives seem to be some Kenneth Cole or Samsonite numbers that end up in Filene's Basement or Century 21.

Is it any less professional looking to have a case with a strap? This one doesn't, and I thought that might be less convenient.

2. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

3. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

As a working litigator, you need two bags: your daily briefcase and a larger litigation bag. Your daily should be smaller - the Barantini looks fine. As for a litigation bag, I have tried them all and settled on a inexpensive soft-sided (ballistic) model. I got mine at OfficeMax for about $50. You can stuff more into it and it adds less weight than the leather one. While others swear by the wheeled ones, I often use mine while travelling and find that I cannot handle two wheeled cases (luggage for clothes + lit bag). If my practice was primarily local I would probably go for a wheeled one. But, the key point remains is that a lit bag is neither necessary nor desirable for a daily briefcase.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

You might also keep an eye on this seller, who liquidates overstock/seconds of Atlas and Schlesinger bags on ebay. It's the same company that makes the old school litigator bag linked above.

5. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I agree with this advice in theory, but find that I rarely am carrying so little that I can get away with using my "daily briefcase".

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It's a nice case. It's often good to have strap on a case when you're loaded down.

7. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Thanks for the advice. It's never occurred to me to consciously seek out a real litigation bag, but I'll keep that in mind. I've seen more senior lawyers carry three or four each of cheaper versions of those for commercial arbitration work... for one day sessions.

I think I just need the elegant leather "daily" case for now, as the real litigation case would be unwieldy for routine meetings. Thanks for the link to Atlas and Schlesinger; this topic has come up a number of times but I never heard of overstocks for these brands.

I rather like the models with straps on top and the shoulder strap from Swaine Adeney that kolecho has been discussing more than the styling of the one I've linked. I guess I'll have to spend at least $200 if I want a case that will last a few years (not SA, I mean).

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

9. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

That was exactly what caught my eye when I clicked the link as well, but SF has influenced me to look for a brown case that will age nicely. Sigh.

Funny that I seem to like those bags labeled "accountant" bags with straps, rather than the "brief bags"

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Keep watching. A tan belting or a coffee version of that bag may come up. It depends on how big of a hurry you're in.

11. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

What's so special about belting?

Parenthetically, I think the retail price of Barantani is rather overstated by STP.

12. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I dislike the details of Atlas dispatch bag. I also think it is a tad too large for daily use at 18" long. Buy a vintage case you fancy for a few years use. When you sell it later, you will not lose much.

13. kronik

kronik Senior member

14. EL72

EL72 Senior member

15. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I purchased this bag in Coffee from this seller 3-4 months ago. The bag is a little on the small side, but I recommend both the seller and Atlas belting leather. Purchased an Atlas leather portfolio from her the following week because I was so pleased.

If you ask her if she can accomodate a particular item in an alternate color, it's very likely that she will be able to set you up.