• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what do you think of these shoes?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I like them

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A really expensive reincarnation of a Grenson Masterpiece. Paul Stuart had a similar model about two or three years ago, also in the fall season. This particular version is a bit more chestnut/red than the version offered by PS. It was a nice shoe--a lighter version of the John Lobb Derwent IMO.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They caught my eye way back. But with shipping you're looking @ nearly $800.

pejsek

Reaction score
I hate to be the naysayer, but these shoes don't really work for me. A shoe with a strap is essentially dynamic; it must (at the very least!) appear to be functional. A well-designed monk will show tension at the buckles. This is the basic drama of the monk. A double monk is a bit trickier, but potentially even more pleasing and beautiful--at its best the double monk will show the straps being pulled in slightly opposing directions as the shoe is fastened. As in this Koji Suzuki shoe:
http://www.oshitate.com/products/oth...1/client51.htm
Notice how those straps work and how the buckles seem precisely balanced to close the shoe just so. The N&L shoe is, by contrast, fairly moribund and monolithic. The straps do nothing and may as well be false (like the magnetic closures on womens handbags). There's certainly no need for two of them in this design, so it carries the extra burden of appearing gimicky. I'd save my money for one of the new JL monks (Vale or Chapel) or else I'd look around for a nice EG Westminster.
Just my two cents.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
I hate to be the naysayer, but these shoes don't really work for me. A shoe with a strap is essentially dynamic; it must (at the very least!) appear to be functional. A well-designed monk will show tension at the buckles. This is the basic drama of the monk. A double monk is a bit trickier, but potentially even more pleasing and beautiful--at its best the double monk will show the straps being pulled in slightly opposing directions as the shoe is fastened. As in this Koji Suzuki shoe:
http://www.oshitate.com/products/oth...1/client51.htm
Notice how those straps work and how the buckles seem precisely balanced to close the shoe just so. The N&L shoe is, by contrast, fairly moribund and monolithic. The straps do nothing and may as well be false (like the magnetic closures on womens handbags). There's certainly no need for two of them in this design, so it carries the extra burden of appearing gimicky. I'd save my money for one of the new JL monks (Vale or Chapel) or else I'd look around for a nice EG Westminster.
Just my two cents.

Pejsek, All of this is well and good, and I certainly agree with you.

But given your track record, why not wait till you see a superb pair of double monks( JL, Cleverly, etc.) in a Thrift for $5.00 or less!
bigstar[1].gif

pejsek

Reaction score
Well, yes, rnoldh. You're certainly right. That's exactly what I would do. I was simply trying to give some reasonably sensible advice to those not so fortunately situated! I don't think most here would take me seriously if I suggested they save their $800 and buy a lifetime's worth of shoes at the thrift store.
Actually, if you look at my post from a little while back showing a couple of my EG shoes you will find a nice example of the double monk--the reworking of the Westminster for Paul Stuart (rescued, of course, from a thrift).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Well, yes, rnoldh. You're certainly right. That's exactly what I would do. I was simply trying to give some reasonably sensible advice to those not so fortunately situated! I don't think most here would take me seriously if I suggested they save their $800 and buy a lifetime's worth of shoes at the thrift store.
Actually, if you look at my post from a little while back showing a couple of my EG shoes you will find a nice example of the double monk--the reworking of the Westminster for Paul Stuart (rescued, of course, from a thrift).

Pejsek, I apologize if I seemed to be critical. I think it's wonderful that you find these amazing treasures in the Thrifts. Alas, I've never had that kind of luck in the Houston area. I guess that the Bay Area is Thrift Store Heaven! Remember, when you first described some of your finds, I thought you were in Fantasyland. I'm glad you now have a camera, and post pictures of some of your finds.

I must admit that I get a kick out of your finds of EG's and JL's for $5 or whatever. A lot more excitement and fun than buying them retail somewhere.

I'm sure that you've noticed, as I have, that there are many SF members as well as AAAC'ers that can afford retail for their EG's and Jl's, but still try a Thrift now and then for fun. Part of the reason I'm sure is the idea that they might be able to duplicate some of your finds. That's the fun part of it.

Regards,
rnoldh

pejsek

Reaction score
rnoldh, I didn't think you were being critical at all. I thought, rather, you had me pegged. Almost all of my clothes are thrifted. Thrifting has it all for me. It's fun, cheap, and recycles unwanted goods. Even better, it's given me basically all the clothing I want (and then some). Plus, I have a 120 year old house that's always asking for money. Thrifting may be a little better here in SF than it is in some other places, but finds are always to be had. I'm sure Houston has lots of great stuff floating around. The one key to thrifting is to do it regularly.
Still, I can't really wholeheartedly suggest thrifting as a way for most people to build a wardrobe. It takes a good deal of time and you can't just go out looking for specific things. In a situation such as this, for example, it's extremely unlikely that you could take the afternoon off, hit a few thrifts, and come home with a great pair of double monks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads