1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What do you think of these shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NMW1982, Apr 6, 2006.

1. NMW1982

NMW1982 Senior Member

2. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

If you use the SPRING2006 code, you'll get 30% off, which makes them a much better deal. I can't say whether or not they're worth it for you, but that is a good price for RLPL EG shoes.

3. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

I own this shoe in dark oak (got it during the last Polo sale, but I think the discount was 40% or something like that). It's a great dressy loafer, and I highly recommend it.

4. NMW1982

NMW1982 Senior Member

Does anyone else have an opinion on these shoes? Are they worth it? Good quality?

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

they're edward greens. they are excellent quality, and a good value given that EG recently raised their prices and you get the trees for free.

6. NMW1982

NMW1982 Senior Member

So which pair is better? The RLPL Mackays or these Barksdale Pennies?

7. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Whichever fits your wardrobe better. No easy answer, I'm afraid. I prefer the captoes, but I'm not a big loafer fan.

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Buy the Mackays in dark oak now and when a better sale hits (which it will), add the Barksdales in either dark oak or edwardian, both are magnificent.

9. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

If you wear suits on a regular basis, definitely go with the Mackays. If you are in a position where you dress casually most of the time, I would go with the loafers (but I'm a loafer guy).

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Distinguished Member

Andrew, have you been to the Mansion recently? What's their current EG RLPL roster?

11. aportnoy

Andrew, have you been to the Mansion recently? What's their current EG RLPL roster?

Yup. They have two killer new models.

The pick of the litter is a new monk strap they are calling the "Grant." It's basically the old "Stowe" now rendered in burnt pine and featuring a medalion toe cap.

There's also the "Carson," a beautiful 3-eyelet blucher with double soles. It's got an elongated toe box and looks a lot like the Barksdale in lace-up form. It comes in dark oak.

They also now have the Mackay in Edwardian.

Two other major devlopments are that they have held pricing at $850 and best of all, the old and IMHO inferior hinged shoe trees have been killed and replaced with the standard EG 3-piece trees!! Still included with the shoes.

12. NMW1982

NMW1982 Senior Member

But it seems like the Barksdale are very versatile shoes--they can either be formal or casual? Whereas the Mackays seem like something you can only wear with a suit.

13. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

I actually think the Mackay are more versatile. They can go with dark raw jeans as well as suits of almost all sorts, whereas the Barksdale hit the limit with linen suits and the such.

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

The pick of the litter is a new monk strap they are calling the "Grant." It's basically the old "Stowe" now rendered in burnt pine and featuring a medalion toe cap.
    Me want. Did you notice what last the shoe was built upon?

The Chevy Chase Polo store has the lighter-colored Mackay in stock, so hopefully it will be receiving the Grant soon.

15. aportnoy