• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Think Of The Smartest Man In The World?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ still very similar cases of people who had incredible intelligence scores and worked in bars as bouncers (and as a male stripper as well!) - basically just wasting their talent.

speedy4500

Reaction score

basically just wasting their talent.

The thing is, to people with such high IQs, they perceive EVERYTHING as a waste of their time... not on purpose, and it really isn't their "fault," it's just a symptom of having such cognitive ability. They are doomed to obsess in only the most abstract thought processes that have little to no applicability to the real world.

It's really no different from elite athletes who want to compete in the Olympics. Is the 100m breaststroke really applicable to the real world? No, but they can only be satisfied by competing with the best; dropping Ryan Lochte in the pool with 15 folks off the street and he'd be "wasting his talent" and become bored in a couple minutes, just like these super-geniuses are bored with "everyday" problems in the real world. There is no Olympics for geniuses, so they are relegated to the world they create in their mind.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thing is, to people with such high IQs, they perceive EVERYTHING as a waste of their time... not on purpose, and it really isn't their "fault," it's just a symptom of having such cognitive ability. They are doomed to obsess in only the most abstract thought processes that have little to no applicability to the real world.

It's really no different from elite athletes who want to compete in the Olympics. Is the 100m breaststroke really applicable to the real world? No, but they can only be satisfied by competing with the best; dropping Ryan Lochte in the pool with 15 folks off the street and he'd be "wasting his talent" and become bored in a couple minutes, just like these super-geniuses are bored with "everyday" problems in the real world. There is no Olympics for geniuses, so they are relegated to the world they create in their mind.

nobel prize, fields medals, advanced degrees, most of the bigtime hedge-fund managers are math/physics advanced degree holders.

there are plenty of ways to apply intelligence.

plus there are math olympiads/physics olympiads/chess championships... tons of stuff like that. My wife was a math and physics olympiad geek throughout highschool and college.

with langan's (and countless others) mental muscle capacity its a waste if all they do is kill intelligence tests.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that their extensive intelligence is the only issue. It sounds to me like some of them have some emotional issues as well. I don't think one can just circumvent an abusive childhood just by being smart. I guess I could be wrong but some of these guys sound like they have some strange things going on in their lives...

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whats interesting with that guy is that he became disenchanted and went back to korea. only for some administrative reasons he had to go through the whole college process again and do over college and grad school to finally get his phD in korea.

not dissimilar to rick rosner going back to high school (but not 3x). maybe there was the same feeling of trying to go back to school to maybe have a chance to be more normal and even cool as an older more mature student.

DBoon

Reaction score
I pity any of you who seriously believe in the relevance of IQ exams in anything other than to appease those insecure enough to try and join MENSA

Last edited:

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Langan is an annoying turd.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Whenever I read these stories I reiterate that most people who matter agree that IQ tests are pretty arbitrary and mostly bullshit.

....or I'm just a jealous ****. Pick one

Last edited:

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whenever I read these stories I reiterate that most people who matter agree that IQ tests are pretty arbitrary and mostly bullshit.

....or I'm just a jealous ****. Pick one

I think there's been a teeny amount of overstatement in some of these responses. It's true that IQ does not necessarily correlate with accomplishment, but it's also true that a person's IQ score roughly, more-or-less correlates to what we would demotically identify as smartness.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's true that IQ does not necessarily correlate with accomplishment, but it's also true that a person's IQ score roughly, more-or-less correlates to what we would demotically identify as smartness.

Are you quite sure about that? I don't feel like grabbing any citations, but Im almost positive that IQ's correlation with accomplishment is extremely strong.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you quite sure about that? I don't feel like grabbing any citations, but Im almost positive that IQ's correlation with accomplishment is extremely strong.

It could very well be, I was merely pointing out that IQ does not necessarily correlate with accomplishment.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

It isn't. I remember reading/hearing about this set of brilliant kids with genius IQs that were monitored over the course of their life by an academic type. A lot of them ended up having fairly average lives with fairly average incomes. I can't remember the exact particulars, but I know it was mentioned in a Malcolm Gladwell book(Outliers to be exact), if you want to investigate.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads