• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of the idea of buying pants from a department store and have a tailor make the mat

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased two pairs of suit pants from Macy's Alfani Red collection. One charcoal and one black. I figured those two colors are common and shouldn't be difficult to find matching fabric.

Now, before any of you chew my head off for buying Alfani products, save your breath. I know they are cheaply made but I actually like the fit of the pants. It's slim fitting but not too tight.

I called Macy's and a sales representative informed me Alfani gets their fabric from China. Figures.

I contacted Calvin from Spoon, a local tailor shop that operates in SF. He told me a suit jacket is 2/3 of the price for a two piece suit. Their starting price for suits is $800. I should get their bottom priced suit jacket for around $530, $580 for a full canvass.

Just for kicks, I might get the jacket made using Loro Piana or some other designer fabric to match the Alfani pants! LOL

If the jacket doesn't match the pants exactly, I'll just wear it as a sport coat.

What do you guys think?

PS. if you are going to talk sh*t, don't bother and go eat a d*ck.

paulbnyc

Reaction score
has nothing to do with the quality of the fabric. a suit is made of one piece of cloth. you can't just buy black trousers and expect them to match. now you go eat dick

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Just because they are the same color doesn't mean they will match.

sns23

Reaction score
Why not just spend the extra 1/3 and get the pants made as well?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so if the color match, the fabric pattern and/or weave pattern won't match? is that what you guys are referring to? lol oh yeah, yum yum full of...uh, nevermind...

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, what happened was i like that pants, vest, and shirt look with the rolled up sleeves (ala old school gangster look) so much that i just bought separate suit pants and vest without even thinking about buying a matching suit. it was an impulse buy. it wasn't until a week later, i found out that Spoon tailoring and other tailors could make just a jacket. so the idea of getting a matching jacket came to me. i actually called Spoon and Calvin told me they could match the fabric. i just need to bring the pants down and choose a matching fabric.

Ravi from Seymour Fashions in SF told me it will be difficult or even impossible to find the exact match if the existing pattern is in pinstripe or any non solid. after finding out i have both charcoal and black, he said finding matching fabric will be more likely.

i figured if the jacket doesn't match completely, i can always wear the jacket like a sportcoat.

thanks, you guys.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm feeling warm and fuzzy inside, already!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because they are the same color doesn't mean they will match.

are you saying that although the color will match but the fabric weave or pattern won't? i might just find the same fabric they used for the pants and vest if i look hard enough. *finger crossed

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these kind of adventures never go as planned.. Stop the sorcery and get the matching jacket or pants
satisfied.gif

alright! a breaking bad fan! *high five!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads