• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of the idea of buying pants from a department store and have a tailor make the mat

wintourh007

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You should get a nice matching color fabric for your suits and the type of fabric should also depend on factors, such as season, occasion..

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get it.

why not return the alfani trash and just have the whole suit made by spoon or whoever you intend to use for the jacket.

This piecemeal stuff will result in items you probably won't wear very much.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't get it.
why not return the alfani trash and just have the whole suit made by spoon or whoever you intend to use for the jacket.

I agree to an extent, I too remember the days when I thought Alfani black pants were to best thing since sliced bread. If you are having a jacket made for you by a tailor, for the purposes of using it as a suit separate with your Alfani pants. Well that's a bit like buying a beautiful custom made body kit, and putting a 1.6 Kia engine in it.

Let the tailor make you a proper full suit, or just get the matching Alfani jacket at Macys. You can still wear your rolled up sleeves, with a vest, any time you like.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should get a nice matching color fabric for your suits and the type of fabric should also depend on factors, such as season, occasion..

Yeah, I know. It was an impulse buy.

I don't get it.

The reason I bought the Alfani pants is because I like the fit very much. I'm actually trying to mix and match different suit pieces for a more casual and fashionable look. If I can only figure out why photobucket is not letting me post photos on here, I can show you a few examples on what I mean. But think along the lines of grey pants, black socks, black shoes, grey window panel vest, white shirt, dark color tie, and a black jacket. I saw a picture of Will Smith wearing something like that and I absolutely loved it!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I don't get it.

+1

Before returning them, take them to Spoon and ask Calvin to match the cut and style.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The coats will never match the trousers. I recommend having the tailor make you a suit. If you truly like the fit of the trousers, keep a pair and provide them to the tailor.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1
Before returning them, take them to Spoon and ask Calvin to match the cut and style.

Have you had anything made by Spoon? Would you like to share your experience? I like the idea of having a tailor in my backyard. I'm a bit tired of online MTM companies.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so if the color match, the fabric pattern and/or weave pattern won't match? is that what you guys are referring to? lol oh yeah, yum yum full of...uh, nevermind...
There is no single 'black' fabric, there are thousands of different black dyes that are all subtly different, and thats before even considering the differences in the fabric between different mills with different weaving processes and different finishing processes. You will never find fabric that will match exactly, unless you can get Alfani to source you some of the exact same fabric. Even then there can be visible differences between different rolls of the same fabric from the very same factory.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There is no single 'black' fabric, there are thousands of different black dyes that are all subtly different, and thats before even considering the differences in the fabric between different mills with different weaving processes and different finishing processes.
You will never find fabric that will match exactly, unless you can get Alfani to source you some of the exact same fabric. Even then there can be visible differences between different rolls of the same fabric from the very same factory.
The OP should listen to this man.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is no single 'black' fabric, there are thousands of different black dyes that are all subtly different, and thats before even considering the differences in the fabric between different mills with different weaving processes and different finishing processes.
You will never find fabric that will match exactly, unless you can get Alfani to source you some of the exact same fabric. Even then there can be visible differences between different rolls of the same fabric from the very same factory.

Don't forget the inconsistencies (visually) in different lighting, ex. sunlight, florescent, tungsten. Your black can "match" in one room, and be completely off in the next... :confused:

Mandres

Reaction score
and then, even if you could source the exact same fabric, it doesn't make any sense to pay the labor cost for a custom jacket made from a garbage Chinese wool blend.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't get it.

dont bother and eat a dick!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

brokencycle

Reaction score
Your idea is awesome. Just keep doing it! Good idea joining a forum with an opening post that includes "eat a dick!"

When you start a job at a new company do you start orientation with "**** all you bitches"?

:nest:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your idea is awesome. Just keep doing it! Good idea joining a forum with an opening post that includes "eat a dick!"
When you start a job at a new company do you start orientation with "**** all you bitches"?
nest.gif

Sure do!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads