• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of side pleats on the back of a dress shirt?

uluvbs

Reaction score
-1- I know side pleats help for comfort, but are they unsightly and/or unnecessary?

-2- If I ask my tailor to modify a shirt by removing the side pleats (in other words, to create a new shirt identical but without pleats), what would I typically need to change in order to compensate (i.e., is it possible the back of my new shirt will drape in a way I do not like)?

Thank you.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uluvbs
-1- I know side pleats help for comfort, but are they unsightly and/or unnecessary?

-2- If I ask my tailor to modify a shirt by removing the side pleats (in other words, to create a new shirt indentical but without pleats), what would I typically need to change in order to compensate (i.e., is it possible the back of my new shirt will drape in a way I do not like)?

Thank you.

I think they look fine. Others can comment with more expertise on the specific tailoring question.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too find it bizarre that anyone would want to remove them.

If you going to do it it would be better to get your shirtmaker to make them that way from the start. Then you can be sure you won't have the fit of the shirt be off after fiddling with it like this - eg pulling around the back when you stretch your arm forwards. If this happens with a RTW shirt you have altered, it will mean a trip to the charity bin on the way home from the alterations tailor.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like them, the side pleats. I don't think they're unsightly, and I think you're asking for trouble trying to remove them.

jgao

Reaction score
Side pleats aren't unsightly. I think they look good. On that note, if you're going to go with pleats at all, I would definitely go for side pleats rather than centre pleats.

Although they are mostly for show, the shirt will look/fit differently on your shoulders without them. That's not necessarily bad, but if you like the way the shirt fits now, keep it the way it is.

treegarden

Reaction score
Definitely side pleats rather than a center box pleat.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like them one way or the other. I wouldn't remove them.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side pleats look fine and much better than a center box pleat.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't believe the OP is asking his tailor to remove pleats from a shirt that's already been made. I think he's asking his tailor to make his future shirts without pleats.

If I am wrong, I would strongly discourage taking apart a completed shirt to try to remove the pleats. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

That said:

I like side pleats, they're the best-looking shirt back pleat in my opinion. They are comfortable and very nice for shirts you'll be moving around in... say for a long flight or a sales trip where you might be expected to give some kind of demonstration. Or for an active weekend. There is nothing unsightly about them.

I am not an expert, but I don't believe any other adjustments will be necessary. Your tailor will know to cut less material for the back of the shirt, and he's already got your other measurements. If he makes the shirt properly, you should not have to ask for any other adjustments.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

I am not an expert, but I don't believe any other adjustments will be necessary. Your tailor will know to cut less material for the back of the shirt, and he's already got your other measurements. If he makes the shirt properly, you should not have to ask for any other adjustments.

+1, if you have a good shirtmaker you should be able to show him the shirt with the pleats and tell him to make you a shirt that fits like that, but without the pleats, the shirtmaker should know what to do. The pleats aren't necessary for a comfortable shirt, even if you have a wide back or broad shoulders.

I'm not a shirtmaker, so I couldn't tell you exactly if the shirt you had made needed more, less or the same material in that area to achieve the fit you want.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
+1, if you have a good shirtmaker you should be able to show him the shirt with the pleats and tell him to make you a shirt that fits like that, but without the pleats, the shirtmaker should know what to do. The pleats aren't necessary for a comfortable shirt, even if you have a wide back or broad shoulders.

I'm not a shirtmaker, so I couldn't tell you exactly if the shirt you had made needed more, less or the same material in that area to achieve the fit you want.

One advantage of side pleats is to accommodate a greater-than-average shoulder depth--or extending shoulder blades. This kind of pleat hides this better than other structures on the back. If you have a very straight back, they are unnecessary, but not in any way unsightly.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horndog
Side pleats look fine and much better than a center box pleat.

+1.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
Side pleats are much better than box pleats

+2

+3

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads