• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of Ralph lauren compared to Brioni, Kiton?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I don't have any skin in this game, I'll take a stab.

1. RL/St Andrews
2. Brioni
3. Brioni
4. Keeton

Originally Posted by drizzt3117
47xc8.jpg

49wy3.jpg

50zq9.jpg

48jc3.jpg

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
There is also hand stitching on the lapel. It's a mostly hand driven process even if they don't do multiple stitches like Oxxford.

What does that mean?

Are you saying the lapels are hand padded but use a lot fewer stitches? If that's what you're saying, I can't see how that's much better than the thought that the lapels are done by machine.

FWIW I think that Kiton are some of the nicest lapels out there in terms of roll. If that's done by machine (which I think it is), then I congratulate them on how well they use those machines.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Determining fit off the peg is going to be dependent on body type and only body type.

Not all of those jackets are tailored, in fact, only one of them has been, they're essentially all RTW. Also, the lapel and drape are easily visible from the pictures in question. I'm not asking you to determine how much handwork there is on the jacket from the picture, but simple distinguishing characteristics that you should be able to see even from a scan of a newspaper article of someone wearing the suit in question. Stop making excuses and either admit you don't know what the **** you're talking about or STFU.

No, it also determined by the cut of the jacket, if not every jacket on earth would have the exact same fit. I'm sorry you can't admit that the pics suck, but if you have the ability to different between one and another you have a better eye than I.

Jon.

horton

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would use the word "fit" as hopefully all the jackets fit regardless of label. Fit to me is somewhat objective: are the sleeves the right length, the chest big enough etc.

IMO there is a significant difference in "feel". I am reasonably confident that if I had a blind wearing of Brioni, SA, and Kiton I could identify each and highly confident I could identify the Kiton from the other two because of its lightness (way it feels not actual weight) and balance.

Having said that, even though I prefer the way my Kitons feel , my custom suit jacket probably looks best on me especially in terms of fit.

I also don't think that the jacket that feels the best is necessarily the best; just as I don't feel the one that looks the best is necessarily the best. It depends on why I'm wearing it

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
if you have the ability to different between one and another you have a better eye than I.

Jon.

Well, a blind man would probably have a better eye than you given the photographic evidence you were given. I'll give you a freebie. The last two jackets are Brioni, and Saint Andrews, respectively.

If you look at the shoulder slope and shape in that picture, you'll see that the Brioni has significantly more padding, and is a bit more extended, although the roping is similar. The overall effect minimizes slope and gives a more robust looking shoulder as compared to the more natural SA shoulder.

As far as drape and lapel roll go, as I mentioned before, this is a matter of opinion, as the Brioni has a more pronounced roll that extends a bit further from the chest, while the SA has a more natural roll. Both jackets drape exceptionally well.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, it also determined by the cut of the jacket, if not every jacket on earth would have the exact same fit. I'm sorry you can't admit that the pics suck, but if you have the ability to different between one and another you have a better eye than I.

Jon.

I thought it was patently obvious I meant the cut of the jacket relative to a person's body type, and didn't feel the need to explain as I might to a middle schooler. For that I apologize and I will be more solicitous to your limited powers of understanding in the future.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Since I don't have any skin in this game, I'll take a stab.

1. RL/St Andrews
2. Brioni
3. Brioni
4. Keeton

Close...

RL/SA
Brioni
Brioni
SSA

I didn't put a Kiton jacket in the mix, partially for my amusement but also because I don't own a navy Kiton jacket and wanted all the jackets to be pretty similar.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, a blind man would probably have a better eye than you given the photographic evidence you were given. I'll give you a freebie. The last two jackets are Brioni, and Saint Andrews, respectively.

If you look at the shoulder slope and shape in that picture, you'll see that the Brioni has significantly more padding, and is a bit more extended, although the roping is similar. The overall effect minimizes slope and gives a more robust looking shoulder as compared to the more natural SA shoulder.

As far as drape and lapel roll go, as I mentioned before, this is a matter of opinion, as the Brioni has a more pronounced roll that extends a bit further from the chest, while the SA has a more natural roll. Both jackets drape exceptionally well.

Well, unless my monitor at work sucks (and it's a distinct possibility, since it's an old CRT view sonic) I can't even see the breast pockets on the suits; just seeing the barchetta would differentiate the Kiton from the other three, thus I still am unable to see the total difference.

Jon.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Are you saying the lapels are hand padded but use a lot fewer stitches?
It's a mix of hand and machine work. The lapel edge stitching is done by hand I've been told as well as some of the interior lapel/collar work.

But you are right some things are done well by machine.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Close...

RL/SA
Brioni
Brioni
SSA

I didn't put a Kiton jacket in the mix, partially for my amusement but also because I don't own a navy Kiton jacket and wanted all the jackets to be pretty similar.

I just went to look at the page on another monitor, and yeah, no barchetta pockets. Well, what's visible form the pockets anyways. My point stands: you can't tell from your crappy pics.

Jon.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I thought it was patently obvious I meant the cut of the jacket relative to a person's body type, and didn't feel the need to explain as I might to a middle schooler. For that I apologize and I will be more solicitous to your limited powers of understanding in the future.
No need for personal attacks here.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just went to look at the page on another monitor, and yeah, no barchetta pockets. Well, what's visible form the pockets anyways. My point stands: you can't tell from your crappy pics.

Jon.

So what you're saying is that you can't tell the difference between the SA and Brioni shoulders, even after I told you what to look for?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went to look at the page on another monitor, and yeah, no barchetta pockets. Well, what’s visible form the pockets anyways. My point stands: you can’t tell from your crappy pics.

Jon.

Sorry Jon, my knowledge about suits is rather limited, yet I can still distinguish the brands using drizzt1337's description:

Originally Posted by drizzt1337

Leslierc

Reaction score
I posted four pictures. Please point out the drape and lapel roll differences if they are so obvious. I would be impressed if you could correctly identify the four jackets.

The shoulders of the jacket in the forth picture look as though they could use a little pressing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics