1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Ralph lauren compared to Brioni, Kiton?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lasbar, Jul 1, 2007.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Just a kind word on this forum to remind some people that english is not automatically everybody's mother tongue and therefore some grammatical mistakes can emerge here and there...
    It is a bit tiresome to read some personal attacks based on some spelling or grammar issues....
    The point raised can still be valid even if it is blinded by some mistakes...
    Be fair-play !!!!!!!

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Just a kind word on this forum to remind some people that english is not automatically everybody's mother tongue and therefore some grammatical mistakes can emerge here and there... It is a bit tiresome to read some personal attacks based on some spelling or grammar issues.... The point raised can still be valid even if it is blinded by some mistakes... Be fair-play !!!!!!!
    Artisan Fan is from the US though, at least I believe Georgia is still part of the Union [​IMG]

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

He is a southerner...
    I have always wanted to visit the old south Georgia ,Alabama,Louisiana,and others...
    In England ,Northerners tend to be seen as grammatically challenged!!!!!!!!!

4. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

He is a southerner...
    I have always wanted to visit the old south Georgia ,Alabama,Louisiana,and others...
    In England ,Northerners tend to be seen as grammatically challenged!!!!!!!!!

Do you like, grats for breakfast ??

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Random thoughts:

My personal opinion is that once one gets to the level of a Saint Andrews suit, which is to say canvased, handpicked lapels, handsewn buttonholes, any claims of 'more handmade' are basically hype. (With the exception of Oxxfords hand padded lapels that is.) There are differences, but they are subtle and more a matter of technique/philosophy than they are of superiority. Maybe Kiton has some extra handstitching in the armhole, I've not been able to determine. Keep in mind that I'm no tailor, but I have taken most of these jackets apart for a closer look.

Also, I think ALL these brands are probably more accurately described as hand finished rather than handmade.

Kiton's softer fit is IMO more a result of the house style/philosophy than it is of more handwork.

This reminds me of my visit to Louis Boston a few years back. When I was there I asked one of the sales associates their opinion of Barbera vs. Kiton. The answer was that Kiton was about 'twice the coat'. Now this was a gentleman whose opinion I respect, but still he didn't elaborate. I've heard similar expressions from people in the industry on many occasions, but NEVER anything concrete to back them up. I certainly could be wrong, but tell me WHERE EXACTLY the extra handwork is. In the meantime I have to go with what my examinations of the garments are telling me.

6. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

My 2-cents is that anyone who can talk about their wardrobe consisting of Kiton, Brioni, RLPL, Oxxford, Canali, Armani, etc. garments and compare them against each other is not only stylish, but quite fortunate as well. I count my blessings everyday when I go into my closet.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1. Just put on a Kiton jacket and you will see how much better it is than an RLPL jacket. Using fit alone, it is leagues ahead.
    That's just fantasy right there. I own a few RLPL (both CB and St Andrews), as well as Brioni and Kiton suits and, although I really like the Kiton and Brioni, they are absolutely not in a different league. They are all very well made suits, use the best fabrics and have great styling and details (which differ slightly between brands of course)

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  10. LARon

LARon Senior member

While I don't own any Brioni, I do own quite a bit of Kiton, Oxxford and RLPL, and must say that I prefer the Kiton and RLPL far ahead of the Oxxford. Both (Kiton and RLPL) fit me like a dream and offer fabrics that, to my mind, are just a class above.

As between them, I can't say that Kiton is better than RLPL; at least I don't believe it to be. Their use of sublime cashmeres and superior ties do give them an emotional edge (in my mind), but in terms of numbers, I have more than twice as many RLPLs as Kitons (which may have more to do with price than anything else).

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I was expected a bit of "debat d'ecole" between two factions ,the Italian and British/American influences ,but being neither of them ,i still want information regarding Ralph Lauren purple label...
    Always look for the third way,my son...
    Saint-Andrew Milan are doing their suits if i did follow the argument...
    The Black label collection is produced by them?
    By the way,I 'm a bit disappointed by all the shite and that's an understatement produced by Ralph Lauren ....
    Their shirts are getting worse and the quality of the rest is awful and overpriced...
    One reason to wear Kiton or Brioni over Ralph LAUREN: The local spotty teenager does not wear Brioni or kiton or does not know what Kiton is...[​IMG]

12. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

One reason to wear Kiton or Brioni over Ralph LAUREN: The local spotty teenager does not wear Brioni or kiton or does not know what Kiton is...[​IMG]

He also probably doesn't know what Purple Label is either and is wearing some Polo Jean Co. products, so the exclusive bent works there as well. For spotty teenagers.

13. gdl203

Do you keep the brand tag sewn on the left sleeve? If not, why does it matter if your suit is RL or Kiton if you like the quality and fit? "The local spotty teenager" cannot tell which on eyou're wearing

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Sorry but that's a crock of shit. Fit has much more to do with the body type and how the shoulder of the jacket fits an individual than quality. I own multiple RLPL (Saint Andrews), Sartoria Saint Andrews, Brioni, and Kiton suits, and am slowly replacing the majority of my businesswear with Saint Andrews mainline or RLPL because I feel the fit is siginificantly better for me. As far as construction goes, I'll defer to others but many have mentioned that SA has as much or more handwork than Brioni and the fabric quality is approximately the same. I'm not fond of Kiton's more delicate fabrics although they are certainly luxurious.

BTW if you are talking about comparing Cantarelli or Chester Barrie for RLPL to Kiton/Brioni I might agree, but I consider Saint Andrews to be on the same level as the other two. Of course which style you like is a personal choice.

First of all, it all depends which Kiton model you try on, because yes each model is different. At the same time, the drape is going to be a lot better on a Kiton than on a St. Andrews, especially the models cut for RLPL, and thus it will, sans tailoring, off the peg wear better.

Jon.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

That's just fantasy right there. I own a few RLPL (both CB and St Andrews), as well as Brioni and Kiton suits and, although I really like the Kiton and Brioni, they are absolutely not in a different league. They are all very well made suits, use the best fabrics and have great styling and details (which differ slightly between brands of course)

I said the fit was leagues ahead, the handiwork and finishing is another matter.

Jon.

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I think that is a very useful description.

When Louis introduced "Oxxford 2000" a few years ago, as their "bespoke" offering (I know...we are already in trouble...), I remember occasional cases of similar descriptive exaggeration by the sales staff. I don't really blame them...it is still a nice store, although diminished as I see it from its peak under Mr. Pearlstein.

- B

Yeah, she hasn't done a good job, IMHO.

Jon.

17. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Of course , i keep the name on the sleeve....
    I'm only buying Hillfiger,Lacoste ,YSL homme and Ralph Lauren for the little polo tag!!!!
    A sense of exclusivity is always synonym with luxury ,except when we're talking of STD!!!!!!!

18. gdl203

I said the fit was leagues ahead
    But that makes little, if any, sense. I hope you can see that. Fit is relative to the wearer so is different for everyone. If what you're trying to say is that the cut (or styling) of the jacket was far better, then I'm OK with you finding it to your liking but it is by no means "leagues ahead"

19. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

My observation has been that, much like the infatuation over the John Lobb shoes, Kiton garments have been so hyped that they are nearly irreproachable.

20. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

First of all, it all depends which Kiton model you try on, because yes each model is different. At the same time, the drape is going to be a lot better on a Kiton than on a St. Andrews, especially the models cut for RLPL, and thus it will, sans tailoring, off the peg wear better.

Jon.

I posted four pictures. Please point out the drape and lapel roll differences if they are so obvious. I would be impressed if you could correctly identify the four jackets.